Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

st0ne5ish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
Hi,

2012 21.5" iMac with fusion drive has died completely no power at all suspected logic board or power supply issue.

I would like to transfer the data off it to a new iMac, normally I would remove the HDD, attach it to the new iMac and use migration assistant to move the data. However when I remove the HDD and attach it to the new iMac it does not recognise the drive, is this because it is from a fusion drive system? From what I understand the data is split across the HDD and 128GB of flash memory. What are the options for recovering the data off a non-booting fusion drive iMac?

Thanks,
Steve

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
As long as there is nothing wrong with your drives, I don't see why this wouldn't work:

1. You can remove the SSD from the iMac and put it into an enclosure. Here is an enclosure that will work:

2. Connect the SSD and HDD to another Mac using the SSD and use one of the many of SATA 3.5" enclosures or USB adapters for the HDD.

3. As long as there is nothing wrong with the drives, it should mount as one drive on the Mac that it is connected to. You can transfer data, clone it, or boot from it.

4. You can defuse the drives when you are done and use them separately as you see fit. Or, just keep them together, and use them that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.