2012 27" iMac-how difficult is it to move from room to room

Discussion in 'iMac' started by webhappy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. webhappy macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am considering acquiring a 27" iMac for use in a work setting. I work in an open environment, so I occasionally want to move around if it gets too noisy around me. I envision only doing this once a week or so. Does anyone semi-regularly move their 27" iMac into a different room? It seems like the new weight and form factor shouldn't make this too difficult (ie, ~22 lbs and very thin). It seems like there's really only one cable (the power cable) that needs to be re-plugged in and my input peripherals can be wireless.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I personally would not want to move it around. It is like moving around a small TV. I also would not want to take the risk of dropping it, no matter how careful I am. Just to risky for the money you spend on these devices. Apple warranty is not going to cover drops.

I know it can be done. But I also have another iMac in a different area as well as an iBook laptop for mobility. This allows me to get peace and quiet when I need it.

I would just ask politely, of the people around me, to try and be considerate of the people who are trying to work around them. I do not like being disturbed when I work. I get into a zone and can accomplish a lot without disturbances so I do understand where you are coming from.

3. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

On rare occasions I will move my 27" iMac (2011 model) to the living room coffee table when I don't want to be stuck in my bedroom. I'm not sure how the 2012 model compares weight wise, but mine isn't exactly light, no problem for short distances though.

Honestly, the worst part of moving an iMac for me is disconnecting and subsequently reconnecting all the peripherals. If all you have is the wireless keyboard/mouse and the power cable to worry about it's probably not a big deal.

Still, it's nothing like moving a laptop.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

The new iMac is thin and light (There I said it)

However, it's still not intended for mobility or move around purpose. It doesn't have the handle nor ergonomic support/design to do that.

If you occasionally move with your computer, notebook or Macbook is the only way to go. Yeah you paid more for the mobility tax a.k.a you get more crappy hardware for the same money. But it's just what you have to paid to go mobile ;)

5. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They really aren't portable...Once placed on a desk I don't move mine at all...there are plenty of high end portable Macs if you want to constantly move around....My 27" newbie is on my desk. The idea of taking it anyplace is a no go.

Take a look at the new rMBP's...I have a new 13" and that's the one that travels.....:)

7. KrasHr macrumors newbie

It's not that hard to move around to be quite honest. I'd suggest that you don't throw away the protective sleeve the iMac is wrapped in, and just slide it on when you want to move the iMac to another location.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I have found that it's not that difficult to carry. The best way I found, is to carry the iMac with the back facing you, with one hand holding the bottom edge near the stand, and the other hand near the top opposite corner to stabilize it. The stand will tilt away from you when you lift the iMac. Also, it helps to wear leather gloves, as the bottom edge is somewhat sharp, and it will prevent finger marks on the screen. Leather gives a good grip.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I wouldn't carry it around either.

You could get a 27" monitor and a Macbook Air or Pro. Then if you need to move just take the Macbook.

You could also get some good isolation headphones and stay put.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not carry my iMac around... but I do transport my ATD quite a bit, and it is approximately the same size as an iMac.

My ATD is dual purposed... it primarily sits next to my iMac as a 2nd display. It is also used with my MBA to do "work from home"... since my MBA is my only machine set up to connect to my corporate servers.

I also use my MBA/ATD combo when I decide to work remotely from our beach house. In that case... I slide the ATD into an "iLugger" and load it into the back of the car. Also, my daughter used an "iLugger" to bring her iMac to/from grad school (Vancouver Canada to/from Portland Oregon) during her occasional (every 1-2 months) trips home to visit.

My point is not to get an iLugger... but these machines are pretty easy to move around and I would not hesitate. The chances of damaging it are minimal.

Having said that... I am waiting for a new ATD to be released that has the new thin/anti-glare structure of the new iMacs. When that happens, it will live 100% of the time next to my iMac... and my current ATD will remain inside the iLugger waiting for the next trip to the beach house.

/Jim

11. 92jlee macrumors 6502

I used to take my 09 24" everywhere - house parties to be the juke box, over my partners house when we didn't live together (extensive movie library). Used to take it anywhere I needed to, just box it up and off you go.
    I imagine the new 27 is easier and has a smaller box.

12. torana355 macrumors 68020

Its very easy to move around, just use common sense when moving it.

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

If you're going to move it around the house once a week or so - while it sounds like a real pain to me - that shouldn't be a problem.

I've dragged my 27" iMac around the house a few times. No big deal.

Just don't take it to Starbucks.

Attached Files:

14. webhappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments everyone. I think I will get the 27" iMac since I already have a 2011 11.6" MBA and an iPad. It sounds like it might be a pain to move the iMac, but it'll actually be pretty rare when I really want to do this (ie, if I'm just reading and surfing the web, I can use the iPad or MBA).

15. calearne macrumors member

calearne

16. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

I've always wondered about the best way to carry it. Thanks for the tip.

17. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

While I don't move mine, you'll be find if you move it occasionally. its close to 10lb lighter than my TBD.

18. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Assuming you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, along with no accessories moving a 20 pound object is very easy and doable on a daily basis.