2012 27" iMac IR issues: keep or return?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by martinm0, Mar 16, 2013.

1. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Hi all. I'm on my fourth 2012 27" iMac and after 10 days of flawless use I've had image retention pop up on this unit for the first time. The other three all had IR issues that were fairly persistent (I could recreate the issue nearly every time if I had a second monitor attached).

I really love the iMac (3.4 i7, 680MX) and want to keep the machine, but I'm worried that IR might become more invasive over time. Currently, I only had a mild issue with IR after running the machine for 10 hours noticing the interlaced looking image left over from my RDC session to my work PC. The image stayed around for maybe 30-45 mins before fading.

Based on the fact that IR is somewhat "normal" to all IPS displays (per Apple), what would you do? Keep it and hope that its a non-issue (I would purchase AppleCare for the long haul if I did keep it)? Or should I just cut my loses and call a lemon a lemon and just get my money back?

2. TV Cameraman macrumors member

As far as I know, that's the only option you have left. Apple usually will not replace it more than 3 times.

I'm in the same boat. I have the very same machine and am getting heavy image retention after light usage. My first replacement arrives tomorrow, but I have low expectations... especially after hearing your experience.

I think what you may want to consider is this: change the config and order a 27-incher with the cheaper, lower-end graphics card. I know of at least one person who has no problems with his 27-inch iMac... which is identical in every way except for the graphics card.

For what I can surmise from reading various posts here and on Apple's site, is that this whole IR problem must only be showing up in very specific, higher-end configurations. Otherwise I think we'd be hearing a lot more about this. Thus, if my replacement iMac also has image retention, I am going to re-order it with the lower-end graphics card and see it that does the trick.

Your other option (and I'm going to consider this as well) is to get your money back and wait for the MacPros to be announced and get one of those. Or wait for rev A of these iMacs, re-order one when those come out, and see if the problem has been fixed by then.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

I've had 5 or 6 high-end 27" iMacs in my office with the i7/680 graphics card, and not a single one has IR. I REALLY believe something else is going on here in terms of....something, with regards people with multiple bad units with IR. Heck, some people were complaining that running a second monitor connected to their iMac was causing IR. I'd love to know what is going on here, because I really believe the chances of IR on multiple replacement units should be basically zero.

4. Ppq macrumors newbie

i would keep it and return it one day after warranty is over

5. Raima macrumors 6502

Are you guys talking about Ghosting?

I recently came across an article where people are suing apple because of ghosting issues with the Retina Macbooks. Retina displays fitted with Samsung screens were fine, but Retina displays fitted with LG screens presented ghosting issues.

Here's the YouTube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhIA8-UIRQ

Could the iMacs be having this exact problem? or is it all iMac screens?

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I have the i7/1TB FD/24GB/680 MX and have had no IR issues. I don't believe it's to do with the graphics card, but I may be wrong.