2012 27" iMac makes noise for first 10 min after waken up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kutuzov, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Kutuzov macrumors member

I've had my iMac for about a week. I have a quick question about a certain noise. It sounds actually like a harddrive writing stuff, but a little louder, and I would have guessed that was it if it happened intermittently. This noise, however, ONLY and ALWAYS occurs for about 10 min after I start up the iMac and then dies away.

1. What could this be?
    2. Any reason except annoyance to get a replacement (if this noise is not meant to be)
    3. Could this problem be repaired by a premium reseller with repair service?

2. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

After 10 minutes when the noise dies down... if you were to lower the brightness of the screen to about 1-3 notches do you hear the sound again? What happens if you keep it dim for a few minutes and then raise it up again?

I ask because I had an issue with my 2nd replacement that it would make a faint clicking sound (similar the read\write sound of a hard drive) and it occurred when the screen brightness changed (which obviously occurs when you turn on the unit).

3. whizpup macrumors newbie

Mine spools the fans up on start pretty loud too. It's really a giant space heater if you ask me. Heat (and some noise) are my only complaints. Pretty nice in the winters up north but in the hot summer days I don't like to get to close to it..fans or no fans

4. Kutuzov thread starter macrumors member

I live in Sweden so I suppose now's the good time. But this noise doesn't quite sound like fans, plus the iMac starts out at 32 degree celsius and often ends up at about 40. But this noise has disappeared long before it reaches those temperatures!

I don't know if you have the latest iMac though, but it's cool to the touch. I've heard previous generations were much more like heaters.

Thanks for sharing this, it sounds a lot like my problem. However, I could affect the noise by changing the screen brightness so it's probably not.