2012 27" iMac Thunderbolt problem...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MattSepeta, May 6, 2013.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I used to run a MBP connected to a 27" Thunderbolt display, with a 6TB WD Duo thunderbolt connected to that. I would also occasionally plug in my Seagate thunderbolt dock to make offsite backups on bare drives.

I got a 27" refurb iMac. I easily popped in a Samsung SSD with no apparent problems...

I plug in the Thunderbolt display to the thunderbolt port on my new iMac, voila it works great.

I try my WD thunderbolt 6TB array, and it does not recognize it. Neither port. Imac also does not recognize the Seagate dock, either port. Both are recognized on the Thunderbolt displays ports when the display is plugged into the imac via thunderbolt...

I am not sure how the both thunderbolt ports on my new Imac will recognize and work great with the thunderbolt display but not either of the thunderbolt devices I have been using for about a year now with no problems on my MBP.

Not happy about this, anyone have any advice or experience with this problem?

Thanks

2. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

No one has any suggestions???

I do not want to open this thing back up to return it to factory and get it replaced....
    So bizarre that the thunderbolt ports on the imac will recognize the drives only when on the end of a daisy chain..

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If you unplug everything except the duo, does it work at all? Maybe a bad cable. I have 3 duos and all work on all ports and I used to have a 30" monitor plugged in as well and still the duos worked. 1) cable, 2) duo and lastly imac is where I wood look. All that said I suspect it is the array that is causing the trouble. Does it work with single formatted drives?

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

Could it be a power issue with the TB ports on the imac? The Display would have it's own power, and may help power the TB devices behind it. I assume the 6GB array has it's own power and isn't drawing from the TB port. But, is the Seagate Dock one of the powered ones or does it draw all it's power from the TB port.

Could be the TB ports aren't supplying their rated power. Also, as mentioned, the TB cables can be a problem since they include their own electronics. If you can, try switching them around.