2012 A1278 Macbook No Battery Indicator

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juic3Mane, May 14, 2019.

1. Juic3Mane macrumors newbie

Hello. Making this post for a buddy of mine. Was having some issues with his mid-2012 Macbook (A1278) 13-inch having boot issues. Hard drive appeared ok. Eventually narrowed it down to the hard drive cable. We disconnected the battery and proceeded to replace the cable, however, upon plugging the battery back in and attempting to boot the machine it would not do anything. No battery indicator, no sounds coming from the machine. It will boot with the power cord plugged in, however, there is no battery indicator in the top of the screen. The fan runs on high and upon unplugging the power cord the machine will die. We went ahead and reformatted and reinstalled OSX with the power cord plugged in. Everything including keyboard lights are functional, but the machine doesn't show there is a battery present. There are no bent pins on the battery connector.

I've searched the web over for a remedy. Resetting the SMC appears to do nothing. I've tried every button combination/method and it doesn't seem to do anything. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Was any maintenance to the interior carried out while the battery was connected?

3. Juic3Mane thread starter macrumors newbie

No the battery was disconnected immediately prior to operating on anything. Upon completion the battery was reconnected and the computer had no power and the battery indicator light was not functioning. When plugged in everything functions properly with the exception that it does not show that the battery is present.

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Are you able to test the battery in another machine?

5. Juic3Mane thread starter macrumors newbie

Working on that today. Going to test it in my MB of the same model. Is there a logic board diagram of the location of the smc chip to test and see if it’s fried? That’s my suspicion

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

If the smc chip were friend, I would expect the fans to run at full speed all the time.

Without a connected battery, the MacBook must feel very sluggish.