(2012) AirPort Express disapears off network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Quad5Ny, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Quad5Ny, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

So I have one of the new Apple TV style AirPort Express's and it's only purpose is to stream music. Unfortunately everytime something is played from a computer it completely drops off the network. (Signal strength is about 74% before dropping)

My routers status page and Airport Utility show no connection from the AE whatsoever, yet the AE status LED stays Green. :confused: The only way to get it back up is to pull the plug.

The most annoying part of this is I have 2 Apple TV's and a PC running Shareport that work perfectly, all the time! Suggestions are very welcome.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Tried that, disabling IPv6, doing a factory reset and all 3 primary 2.4GHz channels. Then I downloaded the pervious version of AirPort Utility (AU 6.x is missing logging) to check the logs but when the AE restarts the logs get cleared.

Also when the dam thing dies it takes the entire network with it for about 45 seconds; the link speed on the router drops from 144Mbps to <1. :mad:

4. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Update:
    The AirPort Express stayed connected to my network all night (12+ hours). It seems the problems only occur when streaming music.

Hooked up my old workhorse WRT54GL, 12min into streaming a Album... AE disapears. So it's not my router.

Now I've gone out and bought another AirPort Express and am in the process of testing it.

5. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Update 2:
    New Airport Express has made it through a entire album without any trouble.

The only difference is I used a 6 letter password as opposed to the 32 character one I was using before (AE settings password, not the wireless encryption password).

6. c2c4c macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar issue. Green light stays on, but Express just disappears off network regularly. Unplug power and reconnect to reboot, and it's back up. Only using it for streaming.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot?

7. stoplis macrumors regular

I'm also having the same problem. It seems to randomly happen when steaming to my AppleTV. My MacBook Pro stays connected, but no connection to the internet or my NAS and Airport Utility doesn't see it. It still has a green light and unplugging the power and reconnecting seems to fix it for a couple of days.

8. c2c4c macrumors newbie

I reset to default and reconfigured it. Only change I made was giving it a new name. Been working now ever since.