2012 Aug: 10GB RAM (8+2): Heat Issue :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnjey, Aug 3, 2013.

1. johnjey, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

johnjey macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 Aug MBP (2.5 GHZ i5: 10GB RAM)and i installed/upgraded RAM from 4GB to 10 GB by buying off an 8GB RAM from owc and installed it along with the other 2GB chip i had from Apple, so the partition is 8+2 GB.

The pro heats up a lot, with loud fan noises, i have also installed smc fan control but it seems more a nuisance and planning to uninstall it.

how do i fix my machine ?

1. Remove the 2 GB RAM and just be with 1 slot empty and another one with 8GB

2. Remove 8GB and get back to old 2+2 = 4GB

3. Buy another 8GB RAM and make it 16GB :) [But will i be able to make my Pro consume/use it all when required?)

Please advise.. THNX !!:D

Note: When i went to the genius bar and got it checked, the dude said it's because you have over-speced the machine as its not supposed to go beyond 8 GB and also it has uneven partition.

Personally, i disagree because these machines are expandable to 16GB (even though all won't be used by pro)

2. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

It should take 16gb. Try it with just the 8GB and see how it acts.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Try the first 2 options to see if the fans stop kicking up.

5. dsciel macrumors regular

have you try to reset the SMC?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

also the PRAM?
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH4405

6. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Does the problem go away when you put the original RAM back in?

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'd check you haven't dislodged a sensor cable or something while poking around.

9. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Check CPU usage in Activity Monitor to see if any processes using a lot of CPU time and heating it up. Might need to re-install OSX. As always, have a backup!

10. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

try to go back to old configuration. if it works, maybe it's better to have two blocks of the same type and you should buy a new 8gb to go 16

11. jdsipod macrumors member

You definitely don't want to be running two different sizes of RAM, you are creating a bottleneck when information is trying to be passed to and from your RAM. While the computer itself is able to be expanded up to 16gb of RAM, you want to have both slots of RAM being used at all times. So if you wanted 8gb of RAM then you should have two 4gb modules installed in the computer. The Apple Genius was right that the uneven partition is affecting your performance.

If you want more RAM buy matched 8gb RAM modules. Your computer will use as much RAM as it needs, and will utilize all of it when it needs.

12. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i am taking out 2 GB today and keeping the second slot "EMPTY" to see how macbook pro responds...

13. jdsipod macrumors member

That will work, it might even solve your issue, but you are not going get the best performance having one slot empty. That is why they are shipped with two modules of RAM, to have better performance.

Put two of the 4gb chips in and you are going to see a lot better results...

14. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

:( well that will make me go back to the age-old 4GB RAM configuration :(, i am thinking of rather taking another 55$ 8GB chip and make it a 16GB BEAST -->

15. jdsipod macrumors member

That is what I would suggest, just make sure the modules match. I did that with my computer and it is awesome

16. johnjey thread starter macrumors regular

Well surprisingly now the OWC prices for same 8GB has rose to 85$ and i got it for 55$ in 2012