2012 Base MBP Need Drive Suggestions for SSD or Seagate Hybrid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, May 8, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so my current SSD went bad, but it was a Sata II or 3G, so now going to replace it in my 2012 MBP Base model with 16GB and 2.5i5

I was looking at the Seagate Hybrid Momentus XT either 750GB or 1TB or another SSD

I need a minimum of 512 GB, so looking for suggestions or someone who has had both, trying to way the good verse the bad.

SSD's are more $ but fast, Hybrid is less and offers more storage but slightly slower?

Right now I am considering the Seagate XT 750 with 8GB NAND and 32MB Cache running at 7200 RPM, but will this kill the battery before an SSD? I read a lot of things stating SSD's are not much better for battery, but with some of the newer ones on the market I am wondering and if so which brand and model SSD is the best.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Crucial M4.

I paid $850 for mine over 2 years ago. Still running at the same read/write speeds as the day I bought it.

3. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

my set up needs an external drive...

I was faced with the same choice last month, and love the Samsung sad I put in. Anything slower now seems slow indeed. I don't like keeping my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on a separate drive though... So I love the speed, but hate the two drive set up I have to use.

But I wouldn't go back to a spinning disc.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Samsung 840 Pro
    Samsung 840 (best value)
    Crucial

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Get an SSD. You won't regret it. So much faster. I'm really loving my switch to 840 Pro. Pretty night and day on everyday stuff.

Just get a USB 3.0 external drive and keep extra files you may not need all the time on there, no reason to store it all on the laptop all the time.

Believe it or not I think I've kind of noticed an improvement of up to a half hour switching to the SSD. It uses a good amount less power, it only makes sense you'd get better battery life with the same usage as before. Samsung claims up to 50, who knows how real that is. But still. Good upgrade imo.