2012 being replaced warranty question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by grame, Oct 6, 2013.

1. grame macrumors member

My 2012 Air was a lemon. From the outset its wifi kept dropping and needing to be rebooted. Then the power charging became intermittent. Then over the summer the hard drive died. I had the 3 year warranty so even though it was 14 months old Apple replaced the SSD. A few weeks later I returned it to deal with the wifi and power issues. They took it overnight and replaced the board for the charger and the lid/screen. They also flagged up a battery issue and replaced that. But on getting it home the wifi issue was still happening. I reinstalled OSX to no avail. Happily they are now exchanging it for a brand new 2013 model. But the question the 'genius' couldn't answer was what happens to the warranty. At the moment I have 20 months more Applecare. Does it carry over to the new machine? Is it 'reset' to another three years? Just wondered if anybody has experience of this scenario.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Replacement machines come with a 90-day warranty, or the AppleCare plan is carried over, whichever is longer.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Erm... no they don't.

Replacement machines come with either a one year warranty or your remaining AppleCare. You can also opt for a prorated refund of AppleCare, and then buy a full one (paying the difference) to get a full 3 years.

If you carry AppleCare over, you will lose the 1 years manufacturers warranty on the new machine though. So if you have 20 months left on your current machine, you'll have 20 months on the new one, not 20 + the 12 month warranty of the new machine.

4. grame thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification. I will call Applecare tomorrow and organise the transfer.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Go the prorated way as mentioned. I did this when my iMac was replaced and it allowed me to have a full 3 year warranty on new iMac. Apple will prorate your current Applecare fairly.

6. grame thread starter macrumors member

Applecare say it can be transferred OR i can pay £40ish for the full 3 years on the replacement.

7. bigtroop963 macrumors newbie

MacBook Air 2012 64gb

I just send my 2012 MacBook Air 2012 in its bout 7months old serious battery drain only got bout 3 hrs on full charge last couple of months kinda knew something wasn't right bought it brand new from best buy must have gotten a lemon, What are the chances they will just replace with refurb one?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

First off, they don't replace with refurbs.

Secondly, no chance. Replacements are issued for multiple repairs on major components. Your issue sounds like it's most likely going to be software anyway (or if it's not software, it'll be a new battery which is a simple repair).

9. bigtroop963, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013

bigtroop963 macrumors newbie

Logic Board

I am a Certified Apple Tech, if it was software i woud have not sent it in under warranty, second they replaced a 500.00 logic board sounds like a pretty difficult repair to me. Frankly I would have just replaced the computer verses replacing the logic board. But i don't have all the money like apple!

10. Mr Rabbit, Oct 9, 2013

Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Solid advice. The pro-rated refund is the way to go most of the time.

Brian Y is absolutely correct.

If you're an experienced ACMT certified Mac tech then you'll realize that a logic board in a MacBook Air is a pretty easy repair, maybe an hour of labor tops. ASD takes longer to run than the physical repair.

I have several years (6+?) working both as a Genius and as service tech for an AASP and I've only seen Macs replaced after several back to back hardware issues, an extreme customer satisfaction/appeasement issue or if there is an extended part availability constraint (Apple couldn't provide a part after 2-3 weeks). Replacement Macs are ALWAYS brand new, with non-refurbished serial numbers, full one year warranties, all accessories, etc. If your replacement logic board fails again, and then another issue pops up, etc then you might have a case to warrant a replacement Mac but until then you're in good shape as far as Apple is concerned.

11. Brian Y, Oct 9, 2013

Brian Y macrumors 68040

- If you are a certified Apple tech, then you will know that there is practically NO reason to replace a logic board for poor battery life (unless a customer wants a part on the repair because they insist that's the problem - which I've seen many-a-time just to appease a "know it all" customer)

- Secondly, you would know that you can replace the logic board in about 10 minutes flat if you're competent. Serializing + ASD will take longer than the damn repair.

The main culprits for poor battery life are the software, followed by the battery. Both of which can be easily diagnosed.

Just checked your post history - I see you literally just got the ACMT and are trying to work for AppleCare. Once you have some "in the wild" experience, you will soon realise how little the ACMT is actually worth (and yes, for the record, I have an ACMT, but don't see the point of it).

12. grame thread starter macrumors member

It seems I can transfer the remaining 20 months over to the new machine or I can buy a new three year warranty. They won't refund because the Applecare 3 year warranty comes as standard on every laptop bought from the educational store. They think the warranty on the new one will be around £40-£50 so I may end up getting that for the extra 14 months. A difficult one...

13. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

You are very lucky. I have had several major repairs done. I was never offered a replacement. Spend the money.

14. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Ah, that is correct. We don't have the same stipulations with warranty & college/university students in the US.