2012 cMBP 15" and LG 34UM95?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MMcCraryNJ, Dec 27, 2014.

1. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Hey all...hoping I can find a person or two with this setup to answer a question.

So, Apple's official documentation for my computer (2012 Macbook Pro, non-Retina, 15", with discrete graphics option (650m)) states that it can drive an external display with a max resolution of 1440p. Which makes sense, considering it's only a Thunderbolt 1 port, which carries the DisplayPort 1.1 standard, which can only do that.

However, I've read from other people online that they have gotten this monitor (which is 3440x1440) to run without issues at 60Hz on Mac models with Thunderbolt 1 only. Some on even older models than what I have.

I'm a bit confused as to whether or not my machine can drive this monitor at full resolution @ 60Hz. While the Intel HD 4000 onboard graphics only carries DisplayPort 1.1, the NVIDIA GPU is capable of DisplayPort 1.2, as per official specs from NVIDIA. So, does this mean my Thunderbolt 1 port can drive this monitor?

I've asked this question in other places, in which I got varying answers. I'm hoping I can find someone in this forum with the same machine and monitor to give me some insight. Thank you!

2. MMcCraryNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Going to bump and answer my own question (since this may help someone out in the future).

I just received my 34UM95, and connecting it via Thunderbolt to my non-Retina 15" 2012 Macbook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M gave me full native resolution at 60 Hz. I'm on 10.9.5, for what it's worth.

Attached Files: