2012 cMBP fell, strange clicking sound, coffee spill & more

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmorgan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dmorgan macrumors member

I have three problems.

Firstly, my wife was tickling me in bed and I had the laptop on my, well, lap. I jerked because I hate tickling so much, it's like torture to me. Well, the computer slid off the bed and landed on it's side on the hardwood floor. Luckily it landed on the magsafe plug so the machine wasn't superficially damaged.

Since then, whenever I move it the slightest bit while it's on, it makes a quiet clicking which sounds like a beep almost. I figured that the hard drive was damaged in the fall. Would this be correct? Will it eventually fail?

Secondly, sometimes when I plug the magsafe into the computer, it won't charge and the light won't come on. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for it to come on, while other times I have to unplug it and plug it back in several times to get it to connect. I have checked the connectors and they don't seem dirty.

Lastly, I accidentally spilled coffee on the lower part of the keyboard & trackpad a while back. I removed the sticky keys and fixed that problem, but the backlight on the keyboard isn't evenly lit across all the keys. I guess something shorted out when the spill happened? My question here is, how much will Apple charge me for a new keyboard?

I appreciate all the help here. The only reason I haven't taken it to an Apple store yet, is that the nearest one to me is a 1.5 hour drive (St. Louis).

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Sounds like a lot to me...

But if you hear a "clunk" sound while lifting or moving your MBP, chances are it's the sudden-motion sensor kicking in to save the hard drive. Sounds like it got out of tune after the fall.

I notice that Magsafe did that when the connector (the head of the cable that's connected to the power brick) had a short near the end. Not sure if it's possible, but maybe the cord got damaged. If you can, try plugging another Magsafe in and see if the behavior is different.

As for your last question... I haven't been in the same situation so I have no idea, really.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

U probably shouldn't own an expensive laptop lol.

I'd just make the drive into the apple store personally.

4. dmorgan thread starter macrumors member

I always take extremely good care of my equipment, it's just been a bunch of unlucky crappy stuff that has happened.

@bill-p: I remember what the motion-sensor sounded like in my 09' MBP, and this is different.

5. sectime macrumors 6502a

then enjoy the drive:D

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I second this.

7. dmorgan thread starter macrumors member

Argh okay.

Should I tell the Apple employees that I spilled liquid on the keyboard, or just say the lights don't work evenly? Or will they see that when they open it up?

Has anyone had problems with Apple techs scratching computers while repairing them? This happened to me with an 'authorised' Apple repair shop in another town, with my last computer.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Id act as ignorant as possible without making it obvious, but thats me.

9. sectime macrumors 6502a

like there won't be any evidence of coffee stains inside if they open it up. I don't know Apple's policy if they would give you a refurb or send yours in for repair. Do you have Applecare? You might try calling first and use FedEx.
    I wouldn't surprised if there is some log with g sensor data.

10. dmorgan thread starter macrumors member

It's still under warranty.

11. sectime macrumors 6502a

Not relevant to accidental damage, in my experience having Applecare creates goodwill in situations like this.

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Did you get mad at your wife? I have a natural curiosity towards things that don't necessarily pertain to the actual subject all too much.

13. dmorgan thread starter macrumors member

I'm not really an angry person, but I did get mad, yes.

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Lol, I was just messing around.

For what it's worth though I would also just go for the drive, albeit a long one, and just work out your issues there as others have suggested.

15. dmorgan thread starter macrumors member

Here is what happened!

I drove 1hr 45mins to the Apple store and they got me in to see a genius within 15 minutes. They looked at all the issues and said they would replace the top case (including keyboard) and the magsafe port under warranty.

They called me 3 days later and told me the computer was repaired and ready for pickup. So 2 nights later after work I drove the 1hr 45min trip to get it. I tested the computer in my car before I left, because I had to make sure it worked before driving back that far. Well, there was now no backlight on the keys at all! Nothing!

I went back inside and explained the situation. The genius tried resetting SMC and all that stuff, and even opened it up, reseated the connection to no avail. I was silently pissed at this point because I had driven so far, and was told it was repaired.

He came out and told me either they got a bad part or there was something wrong with the logic board. So I wait another 2-3 days and get the phone call again saying everything was working and to pick it up. Last night I drove down there for the 3rd time, and the girl who handed me my computer offered to let me test it before I left the store. Finally, it was working how it should be!

Now I have my computer back and it has some brand new parts. I guess I'm lucky they didn't spot any coffee damage inside. While I was there I was looking at some silicone keyboard protectors, and was wondering if this might help prevent any spills in the future. I hope it doesn't happen again, but sometimes crappy things just happen.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

They repaired a computer that you damaged and didn't charge you anything, and you guess you were lucky? :rolleyes: Take this is a lesson, please. Even if you get a keyboard cover, liquids can still get in depending on how the spill happens (speaker holes, trackpad, etc.). Keep liquids away from your computer, and make sure your family members know that it's not a good idea to be goofing off when someone has a computer on their lap. Accidents do happen, yes, but all of your problems could have been prevented with some forethought. I'm not trying to be nasty, just honest.