2012 cMBP hi res vs base late 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by muadgil, Aug 29, 2014.

1. muadgil macrumors newbie

A guy near my place sells a cMBP with hi res anti glare, 2,66 i7, 8go, 512 ssd, 1go 650M, and 80 battery cycles at 1100€
    I was about to buy a refurbished rmbp base model late 2013 for 1529€
    This is to change my ageing C2duo 2010 13 inch mbp.
    What would you do?
    Knowing that I rarely take my laptop out of my place. It's a couch one. So portability is not an issue. But I find retina screen gorgeous. I often use lightroom so the anti glare option appeals me too...
    The 2 year old i7 will be largely enough for my need and im a casual gamer (SC2, D:OS, no fps at all)
    So apart for the retina screen I guess the other one wins.
    Easy choice or not?

2. TechZeke, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I switch from a 2012 cMBP with 16GB RAM, 2.3 i7, GT 650M, and 480GB SSD to a base late 2013 rMBP. I definitely prefer the weight reduction and screen on rMBP. I never used to the full potential of the power of the cMBP anyway so the cut to 8GB of RAM and a 256GB wasn't a big deal, nor was it noticeable. If truly need all the power, go for the cMBP, but the base late-2013 is a powerful machine.

Iris Pro will blow through SC2, not sure what is D:OS though. You won't miss the 650M at all. I don't. Plus not having to deal with 2 GPUs is a blessing.

EDIT: FYI, my uses are AutoCAD, some pixelmator/Intensify/SnapHeal, and gaming.

3. librarian macrumors regular

4. Angriff macrumors member

Does the cMBP have Applecare? If not, that should probably factor into your decision. The refurbished model would come with a 1 year warranty with the option to extend it to 3 years any time within that first year.

5. muadgil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your answers.
    The lack of warranty on the cMBP is indeed a problem. It has a better price/power ratio , but my tranquility (3 years with no undealable issue) is worth it...
    I'll go with the retina one I think.

And D:OS is Divinity Original Sin. Baldur's Gate like recent RPG

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd definitely go with the rMBP over the cMBP at this stage. Warranty is another big plus. You can't be too careful.