2012 Ford Focus Hatchback?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jun 10, 2012.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've been thinking about picking one of these up, a Titanium trim level hatch with an auto to tool around and commute in. Seem to have a boatload of features for the price, look good, and seem to be pretty reliable and high ranking in every magazine.

Anyone have any experience with one? I'd be looking at a Titanium with the winter package, the moonroof, and possibly the handling package although I'd have to see if the dealer could swap the summer tires out for decent all seasons.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Only bad thing I have heard about the Focus is the DCT can be rough in shifting,etc.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm still hearing bad things about the My Ford Touch system, so I would probably avoid this option if you can.

4. jgc macrumors regular

Last summer I worked at a car rental company and we had hundreds of these. We got SO many rave reviews from people who drove them who couldn't believe that Ford was able to create such a great small car. I think they drive fantastic and I really did enjoy them. The only problem I had was the Ford Sync system...quite complicated for rental vehicles (such a short time to learn what you're doing) but I slowly got used to it. It's not for the tech feint-of-heart, but since you're here you probably don't fit the bill. I'm sure it's better once you really have the gist of it but there's a steep learning curve.

The hatchback has an extremely small trunk. Maybe that's because I'm not used to hatchbacks but we had lots of customers who were unimpressed with trunk space for its class. As long as you won't be road tripping with tons of stuff you'll be fine. Also the strings that hold the hatch cover up are very weak and are extremely prone to breaking if you're not careful. They're probably cheap to fix however. The sedan would fix these trunk issues but seems like you're after a hatchback since you said so.

I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you can learn the technology on the dashboard. It's a great car at a great price. IMO it would be worth looking at a Hyundai Elantra as well as it comes with some great features standard (heated seats!), drives amazing (good fuel economy as well), and is equally affordable. The Focus is great though. And damn, I've never seen a white coloured car I've liked except for the Focus. It looks amazing.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Drove one for four months, traded it in quick when my baby was born and the car seat wouldn't fit. Here are my thoughts:

I had a 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback in Sterling Grey Metallic w/ the Parking Technology Package, Navigation and the Tuscany Red Appearance Package.

Overall this is a fantastic little car, although it does have some quirks. I drive Fords exclusively, and this was my 3rd Focus. I've owned one of each of the body styles, and this is by far the best one. The interior is roomy for its size, and the hatch back area has a decent amount of space for some heavy duty grocery shopping.

The parking technology package is pretty cool, and the active park assist (where it controls the steering during parallel parking while you control the gas) works fantastically. The only downside is that is can get you into a spot that you can't get out of, it's that good. The rear parking sensor and rear backup camera work as expected, and work well. The front sensors take some getting use to. They do not work for low curbs, so you can still easily scrape the underside of the front bumper. They will also go off in places like a drive thru, or if a car or motorcycle comes close to you at a stop light. I found that the utility outweighed the annoyance.

The transmission is not that of a typical automatic, and therefore it does not perform or feel like a typical automatic. If feels much more like a manual as it shifts. When we had ours we experienced some hard shifts such as those that have been widely reported. They never felt in danger of harming the car, they just weren't what you'd expect from a typical automatic. Ford recently released an update to the car's various computing systems to address this, however this was after I had traded mine in, so I can't speak to its effects.

The MyFord Touch system is slow and buggy, especially if you pair more than one phone to it. Sometimes it will get confused as to which phone is currently connected and you have to fiddle with it. Ford released a major update to the system in March, but I didn't install it before I got rid of it, so again I can't speak to the outcome. I never used the navigation voice directions, but I was thoroughly put off by the maps. They road labels are ****** and you often can't determine the name of the road you are approaching until your right on it. I don't know if this was addressed as part of the update.

I hated the smart key. It didn't fit my personal usage and as a result could be very frustrating. To unlock both the driver's side and the passenger doors you either had to use the remote, or unlock the drivers door and get in to unlock the passenger door, or touch the rear door handle to unlock all doors. I found it fiddly and obnoxious. However, if it is primarily going to be driven by just you without passengers the fiddly-ness that I experienced is irrelevant.

The Tuscany Red interior is gorgeous, I absolutely loved it.

It really is a great little car. If my rear-facing infant car seat had for behind the passenger seat, or of it had middle seat LATCH points I would still have it.

6. Eli727 macrumors member

I like them, especially the Titanium package.

I personally ended up going with the Mazda 3 Hatchback. The Focus wasn't quite out yet, had just seen pictures but not in dealers yet when I was car shopping (March 2011).

As much as I like the new Focus, I still don't regret buying the Mazda and if I went shopping today, I'd probably buy it again. I've got the 2.5 (not the Skyactiv) with the 6spd and I average over 28mpg every day driving and on trips a little over 30, much higher than advertised.

Not sure how the new Focus drives, but the Mazda handles incredibly and has such a solid, almost german-car like feel to it.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Can't believe so many people here are calling this a "small" or "little" car! It is 2 from the bottom of Ford's model lineup, here is their real small car, the Ka:

[​IMG]

Anyway, back to the Focus. Remember this is a European car, so the manual gearbox will be excellent. I've driven the previous generation Focus and the clutch was light and the gear change was effortless, felt like a much smaller car. I don't really see why anyone would choose to buy an automatic, unless they were exclusively doing city driving. And if you were doing that then you probably wouldn't want a car as big as this.

I can echo the sentiment about some things being great and some things feeling cheap. I have a 2010 Ford Fiesta and like jgc said the parcel shelf strings are weak in my car too and the whole thing feels pretty flimsy and cheap. However, the dashboard is excellent. I'd rather have the nice dash than a premium parcel shelf.

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Isn't the Mazda and the Focus pretty much the same car? (Perhaps that's only true in Europe?).

I've got an older Focus - good car.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

In the US, only the Fiesta is smaller than the Focus. Also on the US Focus, you can only get the manual on the base model.

No, the current Focus is based on the Ford of Europe Focus. Ford sold off most of their stake in Mazda a couple of years ago, and most of the Mazda-sourced models are getting phased out. The new Fusion is a in-house Ford design, for example.

10. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I don't know if they still have the SYNC system in the newer models, but i have a 2010 Escape and it is complete garbage! :mad: So frustrating! It rarely get's anything right, and the menus are a PITA to scroll through. It's very unintuitive and whoever designed it should be fired. Sometimes it takes around 1-2 minutes for the system to "boot up" which is ridiculous so I haveto listen to a CD or radio.

Here's an example:
    "USB. Please say a command."

Me: "Shuffle off"

Her: "Shuffle on!"

I push Sync button "Please say a command!"

Her: "Shuffle on!"

Push sync button: "Please say a command"

Her: "Shuffle on!!"

@#$!@#$!@$%!@#$!@#$!@#$!@#$% :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pisses me off so much. I'm looking to get rid of this. It's completely ridiculous!

I'd also like to add that Ford service is sub par. I had a coupon for a free oil change and waited 2 hours for it!!! WTF? unacceptable! I took it in once to see if it was just because the free coupon that caused them to do it slowly (they weren't making money off of me) and they still took 2 hours. It also cost me $47.xx for it. That's more than my Acura dealer charged when I had my TSX!

Basically I'm no longer a fan of Ford.

11. Eli727 macrumors member

Nope, totally different.

The Mazda3 actually roots back to have some Volvo roots (which at one point was owned by Ford as was Mazda at one point).

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Remember, this is the US, where anything other than an F350 Small Penis Compensator Special Edition is considered a little car ;)

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why is that? Do Americans see an automatic gear box as some sort of luxury?

I think here the only people who drive auto are those who couldn't pass the manual test.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Pretty much, it's because Americans associate manual transmission with economy and money savings and believe that people are getting manuals because they want to save money and wouldn't buy a car with a manual and all of the other options like navi, bigger engine, keyless entry and start, leather, sunroof, etc since the car would no longer be cheap.

15. malman89 macrumors 68000

It's just been the dominant choice for the longest time, so most people don't know how to drive stick, resulting in more and more future automatic sales. I've never driven one in my life and could easily avoid ever having to do so, except I'm kind of interested in learning for kicks.

16. iJohnHenry, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And you never tried "Me: 'Shuffle on'"?? lol

17. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Dooo it. I've been hearing really good things about the new Ford models.

Alan Mulally knows what he's doing and appears to be a decent guy based on The Verge interview.

18. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Shuffle on works no matter what :rolleyes: If I had an accent I'd maybe understand but i dont :(

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I had sync on my 2010 Flex and absolutely loved it. Now I have it on my 2012 Fusion and it just doesn't perform the same way. Add that in with your post and makes me wonder if the versions are different by model.

20. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I don't think I'd agree with this; I'd wager 80% of the population is clueless to the fact that manuals get better mileage, and 50% of the population probably doesn't realize they are often cheaper than autos, since often times both the auto and manual option cost the same nowadays. I think it's more an issue of people being lazy, and just not caring to learn. Unfortunately we are no longer the passionate car culture that we were 40 years ago, when cars were essentially a cornerstone of our culture. Now they are simply A to B devices for most people, and nobody has a passion for driving like they once did.

Thanks for the feedback. I too have heard some issues with not necessarily the SYNC but more so with the MyFord Touch; I haven't used it so I can't say but I've heard it hasn't improved much since it debuted...I would expect a massive overhaul/gen. II version soon. The other thing I've heard is that the auto tranny in the Focus can be a bit odd since apparently it isn't a traditional auto with a torque converter, but rather an automated manual tranny. Most people don't seem to have issues though, and again who knows if this is something that can be modified with software updates or what.

Overall the cars seem to get glowing reviews across the board and are considered quite upmarket. Then again, you can top one out at over $30k which is ridiculous for a compact Ford, but it is what it is. I know the Titanium hatch with my options would end up in the $26k-$27k range, but I would assume I could get X plan or rebates, or a few thousand off through negotiation (I know most of the '12s on local lots are slashed around $3000 currently).

One thing that does bother me though is that there still is no option for Xenons (except in the ST next year which I'm not interested in), and I know looking at the Focus electric that probably in 2014 the Focus will get a facelift with that Aston Martin style front end like the 2013 electric. I also am bummed I cannot get Race Red on a Titanium hatch. Something tells me if I hang on to what I have for a bit longer, I may be rewarded with a Race Red facelifted Titanium with Xenons...

21. quagmire, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Autos are becoming as efficient if not more efficient than manuals. Especially with DCT usage starting to spread. DCT's are practically a manual transmission that is just computer controlled. They are more efficient than a manual transmission and get better performance than a manual.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And they're still not as fun as a manual transmission.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Definitely. I don't have much experience with a manual, but whenever I do get to drive a stick, it's a blast. Especially when you're able to drive one full out on a track. :)

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It probably "knows", but the programmer didn't allow for the proper "GOTO" command. ;)

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Basically. The manual option these days is seen as only being fit for sports cars and cheap economy cars. See, actually having to shift for yourself takes away from being able to text, eat a burger, put on makeup, read a newspaper, ect, while driving.

Manuals these days usually don't get better mileage. In the Focus, for example, the manual is 1-2 MPG worse than the auto. As Quagmire pointed out, with better software controls and things like DCT, the autos are often better performers. In the Focus, the auto is a 6 speed, while the manual is a 5 speed. I ran into the same thing with my Mazda 6. The auto was a 6 speed that gave better mileage than the 5 speed manual I had.

The Focus auto is actually a dual clutch manual that shifts automatically. It had some issues in the early days with rough shifting, badly time shifts, and other problems. In fact, Car & Driver recommended buying the base model with the manual and optioning it how you want rather than buying one of the high end models with the auto. I don't know if Ford has corrected these issues yet.

I hope Ford can work out these issues. I really like the looks of the 2013 Fusion, and I'm hoping they don't have these kinds of issues with it. If it performs as well as it looks, I think it may be my next vehicle.