2012 i5 3.2 feels slower than my older 2009 i7 2.8...it hangs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flavr, Jun 5, 2013.

1. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

2012 i5 3.2 feels slower than my older 2009 i7 2.8...it hangs often. Its not the processor because neither of them are at max load. Its not video card because the 675mx is significantly faster. I think its the worthless slow WD hard drive. Its like anything I do that requires HD access and my system haaaaangs. What can I do to fix this? If I install external SSD will it make speed improvements at the Operating System level?

2. Bear macrumors G3

What model number is the drive you have in your new system?

3. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

Apple hdd wdc wd10ealx-408ea0

its a friggin SHAME apple put these pos junk slow WD drives in their high end iMac.

Attached Files:

4. Bear macrumors G3

And what does that disk speed test show for your old Mac? Also what version(s) of OS X on both?

5. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

Don't have old iMac anymore...current iMac has most recent OSX version...

6. Bear macrumors G3

I don't think the disk is slower than the one on the 2009 models. There must be something else going on.

What about the amount of RAM? Did you add any applications that run all the time?

7. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

RAM is standard 8GB...sits around 2-4BG free at any given time...

I wondering if its the WiFi...it seems to hang and drop once in awhile and wonder if its hanging and taking up system resources to try and reconnect...

8. Bear macrumors G3

If the WiFi hangs and/or drops, depending on what you're doing, your system may appear to hang.

9. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

Has anybody found a solution to OSX dropping WiFi signal? It did it on my old iMac to a lesser extent and now with this one...I searched and the issue is VERY real and has been going on for years with no fix, and Apple has yet to address it...

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Looking from your benchmark, I wouldn't call it slow. It's just what it is and your result seems about right. I bet your old '09 iMac HDD wouldn't be much of a difference than this one.
    I have the same WD drive for my iMac and it's been a great drive. Almost completely silent, no excessive heat and certainly no slower than Seagate hard drive on my old iMac.

I would say you check on Activity Monitor and see what takes the most load. Could be invisible app you run unwillingly.

11. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

I think some people are getting speeds in excess of 160-180 in the seagate drives, thats a significant speed increase over the WD drive that will translate to real world performance.

(btw, in the middle of typing this I got a spinning beach ball because my iMac hung for s second)

12. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

Just ZAPPED the PRAM and iMac is Flying! Issue temporarily solved...

----------

Fixed 100% :)

13. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Good to hear it was no big deal. Repairing permissions is a good habit. Disk Warrior if you own it.