2012 i7 are sold out, but there is still 2012 i5

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Kaida, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

2. Kaida thread starter macrumors regular

Kaida

i would buy it on a heartbeat if i had a shipping address in the USA..

Ability to upgrade ram and dual 2.5" SSD/HDD would be the selling point.

The 2014 mini would force you to use the apple ssd and only give you 1 2.5" option. ram is soldered and the base model is a 1.4Ghz ultrabook processor..

3. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

4. Kaida thread starter macrumors regular

Kaida

$450 is for used ones, $499 for a new one is awesome.

For i7, those that wants it has probably gotten it already so by now, those that are still selling are not so sought after.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've had a 2012 i5 mini working 24/7 for the last several years as my home server, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I shut it down every few months to blow out the dust, and that's about it. I upgraded it with 16GB of RAM and a 256/500 fusion drive, and it runs beautifully. $499 isn't bad at all, considering that it has better specs than the current base mini at the same price, and can be upgraded to way better specs for a much lower price!

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

7. Juggar, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

Juggar macrumors newbie

Juggar

Again, literally everyone here is ignoring the fact that youll be paying tax, buying extra ram and an SSD.

Youll be easily over $600 into this when you could get a used 2014 mini with better specs(faster CPU,8gb, 256 PCIe) for $600 with 2+ years applecare.

Some argument can be made for the quad core if you absolutely must have it but I just dont see a scenario where this is better than a 2.6 8gb 256 gb mini. If you need 16gb of ram that bad you are better off with a quad core model or iMac.

8. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Which is great until one of these parts needs replacing. Who knows when/if there will be another Mac Mini?

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Well, of course we are. Probably because we wouldn't be buying extra RAM and an SSD for it.

My mother, for example, is currently using a 2009 Mini. She's only using it for web, e-mail, and casual gaming; for her, 4GB of RAM and a standard old platter-based HD is fine. If her machine needed to be replaced, I would definitely prefer the 2012 Mini (even the i5 version) over one of the 2014 Minis, as the 2012 as configured is fine for her current needs and can be upgraded if needed in the future. With the 2014, you'd either need to buy more computer than she needs today, or be prepared to simply junk the thing if future macOS resource requirements increase...

10. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Now I see news that Apple has discontinued its monitors without announcing a replacement. Let me tell you that these two stars aligning is another sign that we can't rely on any new-model Minis (or Pros).

11. grcar Suspended

grcar

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

I would expect most companies will keep a few extra units of the items they produce on the shelves somewhere, even if they say that an item is "discontinued" or even "out of stock." There can be situations where you could really use a copy of one of your earlier products, for insurance, for testing, or for other odd purposes.

I guess that Apple has reached a point where they really, really don't want to hang on to any more 2012 Minis... :(

13. Kaida thread starter macrumors regular

Kaida

Apple has xxx numbers of 2012 spares for Apple care replacements. This number will drop as the years go by.

By 2016 June, most of those that bought end of 2012 till 2013 June (highest sales period) would have their extended 3 years Apple care ended and they do not have to keep so many for replacement and clear some through the clearance sale. ^^