2012 i7 Mini Gray Screen

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I use my Mac Mini as an iTunes serve or my Apple TV. It's pretty much all it does now.

About once a month, the display will come on on it's own and it will just be a gray screen and whatever I'm watching on the ATV will eventually stop. This just happened tonight.

The last time it happened, everything that I had watched earlier in the day had the last played stats not updated in iTunes. We're talking the whole day even though I was able to play those shows and iTunes appeared to work fine that day.

The screen comes on and it's just a blank gray screen. The only thing I can do is hit the power button.

Anyone know what this is and what is causing it?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I had an iBook that did this. I think the problem is with iTunes. Maybe a memory leak? I just ended up rebooting my computer every few days to avoid the problem.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Sorry. Did you buy it new or used?
I bought it brand new. Sorry, I forgot all about this thread.

As I said, I use the computer now just as an iTunes server so it sits there for days without me actually using it. When I do try and use it, it will take 5-10 minutes to actually respond. If I try to switch to Firefox, it will take 5-10 minutes to show Firefox or whatever app it is. Once this happens, the response time starts getting better for all apps until the next time.

Maybe it's just because I have 4GB ram and upgrading it is no longer a priority to me like it was when I first got it. I'm all about my Surface Pro 3 that runs circles around the Mac Mini.