2012 iMac 27" concerns?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJelect, Nov 30, 2012.

1. NJelect macrumors member

Three questions concerning the new 2012 27" iMac.

1. Does the SSD require any type of defrag or is the firmware intuitive concerning automatic placement of the primary used software?

2. I imagine the upgrade video card 2G DDR5 will generate a considerable amount of thermal heat, especially when the latest 3D games and/or extensive video application software is used for a long period of time.
    The iMac footprint appears very thin and would believe the internal cooling may be limited?

3. In today's technology/cost is the $1300 upgrade for the SSD a fair market price?

I am a little hesitant on the above purchase configuration because of the above concerns and hope a knowledgeable mac user could enlighten me on the possible outcome.

Thank you' :)

2. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

It's an SSD. It doesn't matter where the data is. It doesn't need defrag.
    This has to be tested, but I'd assume that Apple did this extensively. If they put a 680MX in these iMacs (which performs almost as good as the desktop version) it's obvious that people will use it for gaming. I guess the cooling is sufficient. If there's a flaw, we don't know yet.
    Short answer: no.
    Long answer: there aren't currently any other 768 GB SSD's (in one package) on the consumermarket, so it's difficult to compare. But it's not very friendly to customers to limit the options to just one (very big and thus expensive) SSD option. If they offered 256 and/or 512 GB options it would have been much more affordable.

I'm sure many people will use their own SSD's instead of this option, either by opening the case or using Thunderbolt. It's a shame that Apple doesn't provide more options for their customers. Especially because everybody knows that SSD's are the future. Even though the Fusion drive is interesting, an SSD performs better (also depending on what you do of course).

3. NJelect thread starter macrumors member

Yeroon,

Thank you for the honest answers.

Truthfully, I desire the SSD but the price is a little extreme, I agree with your view with a selection of SSD sizes since it would have made the overall cost more attractive.

Any high end video card that is performing a myriad of calculations will generally get very hot, I may wait a bit to see if any problems show up at macforums; playing it safe...

:)