2012 iMac 27" External SSD Boot Drive Failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TypeMRT, Mar 12, 2013.

1. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I made the transition to using an external SSD (Samsung 840 256GB + OWC Express USB3) for booting & the internal Apple 1TB for data. Now the SSD won't boot. I booted from the Internet recovery partition and Disk Utility is telling me the SSD has "Invalid Node Structure" error that can't be repaired.

Data Rescue only recovered about half the data from the SSD so I'm bummed. Do you think it's an SSD problem or an enclosure problem? I plan to RMA both if I can but I'd like to know if one of them should be replaced with a different brand/model. Thanks!

2. FoolMeOnce macrumors newbie

3. PavelT macrumors member

hi. i use a similar set up for external ssd booting as you. but i use a 840 pro with the OWC express usb3 enclosure. once i set the external as a startup disk, i had no problems. BUT i do want to say that the quality on the OWC express is just awful. it is so flimsy and cheap plastic. its so fragile. my bet is, that is is most likely the enclosure.

4. TypeMRT thread starter macrumors 6502

The OWC Express is definitely on the flimsy side and the connector has a little too much wiggle.
    Any recommendations for a better enclosure? Something small & sturdy, but not too rugged since it'll live on my desk. Thanks!

5. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

LaCie Rugged - you can leave it in its orange bumper case, or you can remove the bumper and show off its nice aluminum case

6. PavelT macrumors member

yeah, the only 2.5 enclosure i ever had is this owc express one, so i dont have much reccomendations. and i wouldnt reccomend it again of course. but i have also heard/seen bad things about lacie as a whole (shells,drives,etc) so i dont trust lacie much all either. i have witnessed at least 8-10 lacie rugged drives fail.

7. Nirvi macrumors newbie