Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
some time when i start up my mac I don't get any sound in builtin speakers, speaker volume looks fine on the screen, but no sound.... this gets fixed it i plug in any headphones in my imac and plug it out... then the iMac internal speaker starts working... does any one know what the problem might be? how i can possibly fix this ? thank

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
That sounds like there may be something wrong with your DAC, which clicks between analogue and digital when you plag a jack in.

I believe (you probably have to check with ifixit tear down to confirm), there's a small catch inside the jack. If you plug in a 3.5mm optical jack in, it flicks the catch, and you get an optical out instead of an analog jack out

Hope that makes sense.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
some time when i start up my mac I don't get any sound in builtin speakers, speaker volume looks fine on the screen, but no sound.... this gets fixed it i plug in any headphones in my imac and plug it out... then the iMac internal speaker starts working... does any one know what the problem might be? how i can possibly fix this ? thank

Maybe others can chime in if I am way off with my suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.