2012 iMac And a PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jakesaunders27, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,
    My dad has a high end 2012 27" iMac which he uses for personal use and a midrange HP laptop which he uses for work. Is there any way that when he works from home he is able to use the iMac as a display for the HP laptop with target display?

Cheers

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Nope unless he uses screen recycler which isn't that great. Read Apple's FAQ on Target Display Mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

3. fredr500 macrumors regular

That's exactly why I am planning to go with a mini and Monoprice 27" display. I can use the display with anything, and when it's time to upgrade the processor/graphics I'm not buying new glass.

I'm not a gamer so the graphics penalty is not too important to me.

4. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

My plan as well when my 2008 24" iMac bites the dust. However, it's still running fine, no hardware issues and it's fast enough for me.

6. ezortman macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but if he's still liking OS X, then he could power up the laptop and use Microsoft Remote Desktop (free on App store) to log into his laptop, and use it from there. Fullscreen works rather well, been using my Win 8.1 desktop from my Mac when I want to use Office 2013 (got win version for $10 thru work).

The only difficulty is when I'm going to the lower left to get Win Start to come up and I go too far, and activate my OS X hot corner. That's just me not being careful with mouse placement.

I have the win Desktop for gaming mostly, prefer doing everything else in OS X.