2012 iMac CPU temp sensor faulty?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snapdragonx, Jul 15, 2013.

1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

Hey all,

I've done a lot of Googling but can't find an answer to this potential problem.

When using iStat Pro, my CPU temp is not reported. I've downloaded several other apps and none of them report my CPU temp.

I tried loading up Handbrake and encoding a 60 minute long video. The encode took 5-6 minutes, and the iMac's fan didn't spin up past the normal 1200rpm even though all 8 threads were maxed out.

This makes me think that the CPU temp sensor isn't working, and the fans aren't spinning up when they should be.

It's a brand new iMac, late 2012, BTO with i7 (see sig).

Any thoughts?

2. Mac32 macrumors 65816

The maker of iStat Pro hasn't updated his software for late iMac 2012 even yet. It's a software update issue. There is a program for OSX that will show CPU temps, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll check when I get home.

3. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. But still, the fan not spinning up after 5 minutes of video encoding doesn't sound normal

4. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

I encoded some blu rays, after a while I could hear the fan, but it's very quiet.

In windows you can easily get the CPU's temperature, on OS X we just need updated software!

5. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Try "Temperature Gauge", it's available in the App Store. If that doesn't work, then you can worry about your CPU. :) Otherwise, if you use Bootcamp, there's plenty of free temperature monitoring software for Windows.

6. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.

I tried Temperature Gauge and the CPU temp is detected :)

But I noticed that when encoding video, it gets up to 80 degrees Celsius and the fans don't spin up. Is this normal?