Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac275

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
When I open system preferences on my new iMac and try to go to the Display preferences, I just get a message saying 'Loading Displays...' at the top of the window and the beach ball.

The preferences do eventually load, but this takes anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour to happen. When it loads, it works fine.

All other preferences and everything else about the machine works fine, so it seems a strange fault.

Anyone else had this?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
When I open system preferences on my new iMac and try to go to the Display preferences, I just get a message saying 'Loading Displays...' at the top of the window and the beach ball.

The preferences do eventually load, but this takes anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour to happen. When it loads, it works fine.

All other preferences and everything else about the machine works fine, so it seems a strange fault.

Anyone else had this?

check your activity monitor and post a screen shot if you can, see if you see anything abnormal

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Anyone else had this?

What have you got connected? It's probably more to do with peripheral display equipment.

imac275

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
Nothing connected to do with display, just an external HDD and speakers.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Nothing connected to do with display, just an external HDD and speakers.

well disconnect all that and try it first, just to rule those things out like the other guy was sayin, good chance that could be causing something, and then reconnect after

imac275

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
well disconnect all that and try it first, just to rule those things out like the other guy was sayin, good chance that could be causing something, and then reconnect after

I tried rebooting with nothing connected apart from the BT mouse and trackpad and still get the problem.

Apple had agreed to replace the iMac for other reasons but when the replacement turned up worse I decided to keep the original one so still looking for a solution to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.