2012 iMac faster on Wifi Than Ethernet Cable?

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I ran several speed tests on my iMac using Wifi to a fourth generation Airport Extreme, and then again via ethernet to the same AE. I got 95.68Mbps downloads 19.56 Mbps uploads via Wifi, and about 1/3 less speeds via my hard wire ethernet. Shouldn't the ethernet cable be faster? Note the AE is in the basement, and the iMac is on the first floor directly above the AE.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the ethernet cable. I read somewhere a while back that Macs are extremely sensitive to type of ethernet cable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I ran several speed tests on my iMac using Wifi to a fourth generation Airport Extreme, and then again via ethernet to the same AE. I got 95.68Mbps downloads 19.56 Mbps uploads via Wifi, and about 1/3 less speeds via my hard wire ethernet. Shouldn't the ethernet cable be faster? Note the AE is in the basement, and the iMac is on the first floor directly above the AE.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the ethernet cable. I read somewhere a while back that Macs are extremely sensitive to type of ethernet cable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Make sure that you're using a CAT6 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.