2012 iMac GPU possibilities?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HeIIo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. HeIIo macrumors newbie

Hey there, I am considering purchasing a new 2011 iMac but am holding back as I understand it is in the middle/end of it's production cycle. The only reason I haven't purchased one yet is because I am not sure if the 2012 model will get an upgraded video card. Apple TV/Faster Processor/HD doesn't really phase me as I see the GPU as the limiter currently.

So my question to you hardware junkies out there, if Apple was to upgrade the GPU for 2012 is there a new mobile card that is going to make much of a difference? From what I have researched it doesn't look like their is a mobile card out there that would make a huge difference over the current card. Unless some how they managed to get a desktop GPU in, I don't see a big difference in the GPU area.

Thoughts? Thank you!

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Not sure what is in the pipeline. But it was reported that they are going back to Nvidia. So you may want to see what Mobile chips are brewing from Nvidia.

We just got our iMacs with the 6970's. I haven't had a chance to do any benchmarking since I have to wait 12 more days..
    However, from what I gathered they are very sweet machines.

3. HeIIo thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks. Had forgotten they were going back to nvidia. I'll check out how their cards compare.