2012 iMac Image Retention - Why?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Jan 27, 2013.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I've been wanting one of these new beautifull 2012 iMacs but have been reading stories of image retention problems. I have read so much of this stuff in the Macbook Pro area with regards to the retina display Macbook Pros and didn't think and expect that these things would also be the case and issue with the new iMacs. Why is it that Apple is slacking on their displays? I know its sourced from different vendors but why not at least field test the darn things before tos'n them on a bunch of newly released goods and wait for the consumer to have the problems when it will just cause much hassel with customers needing to return/exchange for another unit?

Also with how backed up things are with the 2012 iMacs by the time orders finally get caught up and filled it will probably be just about the time of a middle of the year refresh if Apple intends to refresh it in June-ish?

2. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

Probably because they have so much demand for a very stretched supply.

3. Trinite macrumors regular

Hm. Does that mean quality control is likely to improve once things calm down a bit (whenever THAT is...) and thus the possibility of getting an iMac with IR will be reduced?

In which case maybe it's a good idea to wait?

What do people think?

4. VP01 macrumors newbie

I'm on the verge of just waiting... Like buying the first run of a new gen product sometimes there are problems sometimes there aren't...

5. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Waiting won't make any difference, making the LCD is not the issue. It's the same LCD from last year and I'm sure there is plenty of stock... the slow down has been laminating the glass to the LCD. You should read up on it, it's very clearly documented around the web.

As far as the IR issue, it's a problem with LG LCDs for the most part, and its just a lotto today or tmr for you

6. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

This is from Apple Support

Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays

In-plane switching (IPS) technology is used in today's most advanced displays, including the Apple Cinema and Thunderbolt Displays, as well as the displays built in to iMac and Macbook Pro with Retina display computers. IPS technology enhances the viewing experience by providing full 178-degree viewing angles in all directions. This makes IPS displays ideal for observing content with multiple people, and provides pristine viewing characteristics for image, print, and video production workflows.

On an IPS display, when an image such as a login window is left on screen for a long period of time, you may temporarily see a faint remnant of the image even after a new image replaces it. This is referred to as "persistence," "image retention," or "ghosting." This is normal behavior for an IPS display, and the faint image will disappear over time.

You can prevent image persistence by using the display sleep feature to turn off the display when it is not in use. You can also use a screen saver to make sure that a static image isn't on the display for long periods of time. Both of these features are on by default in Mac OS X, but you can adjust the settings as needed.

To prevent image persistence, enable the display sleep feature:

From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, and then click Energy Saver.
    Click the Battery tab (if using a notebook).
    Set the "Display sleep" slider to a brief interval of time (such as 15 minutes).
    Click the Power Adapter tab and make the same change (if using a notebook).

If you see a persistent image on your screen, you can use the screen saver to eliminate it:

From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, and then click "Desktop & Screen Saver."
    Click the Screen Saver tab.
    Choose a screen saver.
    Set the "Start screen saver" time to be shorter than the "Display sleep" and "Computer sleep" settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.
    To clear the persistent image, allow the screen saver to run for approximately as long as the image was being displayed.

7. fredward macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I just recently bought the 2012 iMac as well. The $2599 with the fusion drive installed. Everything worked great except for the screen. I returned it three different times with three different replacements and I keep getting the Image Retention. Been going through three of them in a whole week. The third one was actually from this afternoon after I picked it up from the store. I'm pretty sure most people are having this issue at least from what I've been hearing and reading around the online forums. I had it pretty bad on my very first one. The other two weren't as bad but if your going to pay for something this expensive you expect to have no issues with something like this. Apple seems to not care about their quality control. I don't know but I sure hope they get this resolved soon. I'm back using my Late 2009 27 inch iMac which still runs great. Just wanted to put my thoughts in here as well.

8. intothepolis macrumors regular

Wow. Looks like I'm waiting to buy a RMBP and an iMac.

9. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

First-gen MacBook Air was a turd as well. If you buy a first-run product you should know what you're getting in to...

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Well feel free to miss out if you must. Most iMacs are NOT experiencing IR. I find it very hard to believe three in a row had this issue. I suppose anything is possible, but that is not normal at all.

Plus I think fredward appears to be quite troll-like. He joins macrumors, and posts the exact same thing in three threads. That's it. Not a post before or after.

11. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

My first late-2012 iMac screen was yellow and the next 2 replacements Apple sent me have had IR. I honestly think that something is inherently wrong with these LG screens or that there's something in the assembly process or design that's causing problems. One bad screen is an anomaly, two can be considered bad luck, but three bad screens to me seems like the beginning of a pattern or trend. Perhaps some units are better than others or perhaps some users don't notice or know how to replicate the IR.

Before this all happened I use to be skeptical like you when people complained of receiving multiple faulty units (and that it pointed to a widespread problem) but now I realize that there could be some truth to it all. Look at the rMBPs and the image retention issues it has had. Now it appears that Apple has tweaked the internals to fix heat and image retention \ ghosting issues in that line. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do the same to the new iMacs sooner rather than later.

Apple is in the process of sending me a 4th unit that's supposed to go through a higher quality review process before leaving the factory. I'm hoping that this one arrives sans screen issues.

12. Vinno macrumors newbie

You think apple charging such huge premium prices, they get it right. Crossing fingers my imac on order dont get it.