2012 iMac Issues, am I ****ed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Norcal., Oct 16, 2015.

1. Norcal. macrumors regular

• 1TB Fusion Drive failed. Only recognizes the 128GB SSD and not the HDD portion. I had to wipe all my data and re-install the OS onto the 128GB SSD to get it to boot. Basically I need to replace the Fusion Drive.
    • The display doesn't stay in position on its stand, when I try to adjust it, it just falls inward onto the weight of the display.
    These two issues happened out of nowhere today. How much should I expect to pay to repair this ****?

2. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

This is why I've been trolling the "SSD VS Fusion Drive thread" Don't bother with ANYTHING with a spinning drive anymore.

Anyway, I'm guessing you don't have applecare?

3. Norcal. thread starter macrumors regular

No I dont.

4. Norcal. thread starter macrumors regular

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Recommend you find a 3rd part shop that works on Apple stuff.
    Much cheaper than taking it to Apple. The hinge might be expensive. It's under
    the board, so you have to pull everything to get to it.

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Here's a discussion thread about the floppy stand and peoples experience with getting it fixed.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5717518

7. Norcal. thread starter macrumors regular

What should I expect to pay to fix these things? Since I'm out of warranty I bet Apple will try to **** me over with part/labor costs. $500+?

8. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

hard drive replacement on this is not too bad at all - just cut the adhesive holding the screen and it's right there underneath - I would think any Mac servicing center would do it. Not sure about the stand, but obviously you can work yourself up a nice little wedge (like the ifixit service wedge) that will hold the screen at the angle you want it. Technically you don't really have to do anything - you could just use your 128MB as the boot drive and do the rest with a USB external.

9. Norcal. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, well the thing is I planned on selling it so I sort of have to fix the issues with it. Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Went to an authorized apple repair/reseller and they quoted me a minimum of $560+ tax for parts and labor to fix both issues. What a joke.

Think i'll just buy the tools and do the hard drive myself, and cut the losses on the stand.