2012 iMac New Sizes?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 8CoreWhore, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It seems that Apple discontinued the 17 inch MacBook Pro because (in part) the 15 inch Retina Display gives more real-estate.

By this reasoning, might the new iMac with Retina's be smaller? In other words, 19 inches and 24 inches, or in that ballpark?

Thoughts?

:apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't see them reducing the size of the iMacs. Retina displays on the iMacs are probably further off in the future that people think.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Killing of the 17" MBP does not signify Apple's intents to go for smaller screens. They killed it off because it wasn't selling well. 2012 iMac sizes will be 21.5" and 27" at least. If anything, they will probably be increasing the sizes soon. 24" monitors are now fairly common.

4. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

Man, I'd sure love to see a 24 inch iMac. 21.5 isn't enough (I use a 20 inch external monitor with my MBP right now and I'd love more space), and 27 seems like too much. 24 inch would be perfect!

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Exactly, and the 27" seems to be very popular so I don't think it's going anywhere.

6. lozpop macrumors 6502

Retina Display on iMacs is not that necessary. I don't think we'll see in summer 2013 or later.

7. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

I beg to differ but i don't want to open that can of worms again ;)

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

"Necessary"? Interesting choice of words. You could argue that no computer is necessary.

Now, will it be a beautiful piece of work when it gets done? Yes. Will it get done in 2013? I'm guessing yes, but I'm not certain.

9. profets macrumors 68040

I've been holding off on getting myself an iMac for the past year thinking maybe a design change may come for 2012, but looks like that may be something to look forward to in 2013.

I'm really hoping for even bigger models. Maybe 23 and 30? I use a 27" at work day to day and although it felt huge at first I find myself always wanting more desktop space.

10. Crazy82 macrumors member

I would love to see a 30" iMac and that leads me to an question that inclueds a wiledly debated thing.

If Apple desides to make (lets say) a 24" and 30" iMac would the size make any differens to the chin (not that I care about it, I like it) and/or the space inside for extra components like SSD/harddrive?

What do you think?

11. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

30" would be expensive. Dell's 30" IPS monitor, costs around $1200. Their 27" IPS monitor, costs around $600. That's a $600 dollar difference. So, I doubt 30" somehow. It would be cool though. But surely a fair bit more expensive.

And I do not know of 28" panels? Or 29" for that matter ... but 28 would be a nice improvement IMO.

12. danetello macrumors 6502

I think they will keep the sizes as they are, the 21.5 and the 27

13. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I bet that all computer displays will go "retina" much as the increase of resolution on TV sets. How soon the iMac can get the retina display depends on the affordability. If it is now affordable to a fairly good number of iMac users, I do not think that Apple will hesitate a bit to give the iMac a retina display.

My above statement is drawn based on the simple fact that a retina display will make the text much crisp and the graphics much vivid and it is inevitable in the development of display technology.

I compared the resolution of the original Macintosh Plus with that of the 27" Apple Cinema Display in my mind with the memory from the past. I noticed a huge difference, something like that between the resolution of a 27" ACD and that of a retina display.

Can anybody recall the use of the Adobe Type Manager to make fonts crisp in the old days?

14. Crazy82 macrumors member

Thanks but that wasen't any answer to my question.

I mean if Apple desides to increas the screens to (lets say 24" and 30") would that make any differens on the chin and/or the space for extra SSD/harddrive?

15. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

A good question. I think it probably would provide more room.

16. Crazy82 macrumors member

Thanks i think so to!

17. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I wonder if they'll drop the optical drive in favor of making the machine thinner and to run cooler.

18. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

19. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I don't see that happening as they left it in the MacBook Pro (non retina). The imac would be the last to lose it I would think. Well apart from the pro.

20. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

The only two sizes we have for a new iMac are none and not at all.:D

If we're really lucky we might get just an ivy bridge refresh.
    I'm ok with this as my 5.5yr old iMac is seriously on it's last legs and I don't want to spend 2012 money on 2011 hardware.

I know i could get a refurb, but that doesn't save very much as I'm able to purchase my next iMac through the education discount scheme.

21. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Droping the OD will not make the iMac run cooler.
    Making it even thinner will make it run hotter.
    The iMac is a massive heat radiator already due to it's thiness.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want the iMac to be thinner?

22. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

me wants 30"....dont care about thinner, I rather have cooled down beefed up hardware.

23. mikeytrend macrumors member

It would be nice to see the 24" again, but you have to think about the markets. Laptops are meant to be portable. It's why the MacBook Air took off. A 17" laptop is not portable and only really appealed to a few power users. The 27" iMac is awesome. Heck, I wish they'd bring back the 30" display, but that's because a desktop isn't going anywhere except the occasional move.

Apple picks a few things and does them really well and 17" laptops was something they weren't doing well, so they dropped it and decided to focus that attention on retina displays.

24. lozpop macrumors 6502

Sure, Retina Display is always awesome, but people use the iMac 50-60 centimeters from their eyes. Apple increased the PPI of the iPhone, the iPad and the MacBook relative to the distance from the eyes of the users.

A display is called "Retina" when your eyes can't distinguish the grid of pixels. To make a Retina iMac, Apple would have to increase the PPI not that much. This is why I'm telling that a Retina Display on the iMac is not "that necessary".

25. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Same here.

On that note I would much much rather have a 30inch display at the current resolution than a 27inch at retina res.