2012 iMac upgrade services

Discussion in 'iMac' started by olindacat, Feb 16, 2013.

  1. olindacat, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

    olindacat macrumors member


    Apr 15, 2011
    In 2010, I tore down my old 24" 2.0 iMac and replaced the HDD. It was horrifying (yes, I'm a puss). I swore I'd never to it again. In 2011, I bought the then new 27" i7 and found, on this forum, a young fellow who was trying to start a business called ChargedPC. I shipped my machine to him, gave him the cash to install two Vortex 240GB SSDs, as well as an eSATA plug on bottom of machine. This fellow did the job, perfectly, and even hand delivered my new machine to my dad's apt in NYC.

    I took a lot of flack from posters who said I was basically an idiot. Well, it worked out. This kid was all I could find at the time. Now, fast forward to today: I've seen the "Rip that Mac apart" thread and no way am I going there again.

    What is one to do? Does anyone know of a reliable and trustworthy service out there that is doing SSD upgrades to the new 27" iMacs? (ChargedPC must've gone out of biz.)
  2. WilliamG macrumors G3

    Mar 29, 2008
    To be fair, in actuality, - it's much, much easier to replace a drive on the 2012 iMacs than the 2009-2011 iMacs. My biggest annoyance about opening my 2009 27" iMac was being able to keep the dust from getting in between the glass and the panel. I never was able to keep it 100% dust free. With the new design, that's no longer an issue. Plus once you have the screen separated from the frame, there's no screws etc or balancing act to remove the screen completely. Just a cable, and you're in.

    That said, I understand the trepidation of doing it yourself. Maybe try that young fellow again to do it? :)
  3. macthefork macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2013
    Wait for OWC to finish getting their turnkey program together. They've been doing it for a while with the earlier iMacs. But, they haven't got the turnkey upgrades ready for the latest iMacs yet. They are reputable, when they do. You could even call them about this and they'd give you more information.

Share This Page