2012 iMac vs 2011 iMac Debate

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sstevens, Oct 14, 2012.

1. sstevens macrumors member

I currently own the 15" Retina MBP along with a top 27" iMac from 2011. The iMac has the 2GB GPU, 3.4 Quad i7, 8GB Ram, 256SSD + 1TB HDD, etc.

I have had this since August of 2011 and always try to keep my computer products up to date (was thinking about upgrading to 16GB Ram soon). With the release of the 2012 coming up soon, do you think it would be pointless to make such an upgrade? I just put apple care on it 2 months ago.

I mainly use my iMac for FCPX, Adobe software, etc..I bouight a laptop and wanted to go with the Retina so I wasn't feeling guilt over a lesser model whenever there is an update there, as I am going to be traveling heavily and needed portable storage and editing on the go. My iMac is my main base for editing videos, photos, and occasionally design work.

I think this could just be a selfish 'impulsive' buy but was wondering what a lot of you guys would do since this could be a more of an upgrade with the iMac than we think - Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge CPU? Better GPU?

Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

How can one possibly debate a 2012 iMac when it doesn't officially exist yet?

3. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

I think it's a reasonable thought... whether you are upgrading to a 2012 or 2013, the iMac update will come.

To upgrade or not to upgrade.

My suggestion is to skip a model to get the most out of each of your investments.

The potential updates of USB3, SataIII, form factor, Ivy Bridge, and updated LCD may or may not be of us to you...but I think from day to day you would not see the difference.

Get the ram upgrade... maybe get crazy and upgrade your internal HDs from OWC macsales.com - but don't buy a whole new machine till 2013/2014 update to Haswell, that's supposed to be a nice leap.

My opinion