2012 laptop slowing down - should I just upgrade now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BallparkDreamer, Nov 8, 2015.

1. BallparkDreamer macrumors regular

My cMBP has been pretty slow these past few months, and it's starting to affect my day-to-day work/leisure. There'll be times when it's loading for a solid five minutes or more minutes, and it can be frustrating. The battery also doesn't last very long. I had been planning on upgrading in March or so (whenever Skylake comes out), and that's only five months away. I'd rather not do any upgrades to my current machine, just because I plan on updating it in five-six months. I could upgrade now, since I have the funds, but my laptop ~does~ work, even if it can be a pain. What do you all think? :p

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Replace the hdd with SSD first. The machine will become new machine again. 2nd priority is to add the RAM, but this only applies if you use memory-hog application.

3. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

I have a late 2011 cMBP with 840 pro Ssd and runs like a champ. Definitely upgrade your hdd

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A SSD will run $100-200 depending on capacity. It'll make your computer feel brand new.

Upgrading now isn't a bad choice either. The current rMBPs are nice.

5. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards upgrading now, especially because some users around here think Skylake macbooks could be released at WWDC. That's a bit too long of a wait for me. SSD+battery would be, what, $300-350? I also have the 15" brick, and would like something lighter.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

In that range. It really depends on the SSD you might choose.

I have absolutely zero complaints about my 2015 13" rMBP. It's a fantastic computer.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

1. Upgrade to an SSD
    2. Upgrade to 8GB RAM
    3. Forget about upgrading for a good while
    4. Consider a new battery

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

$120 for a battery but SSD depends on size. If you can get away with 250Gb for the next few months (archive old files etc) a BX100 will set you back a low $82. If it's any help I think they'll be released before WWDC.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=BX100

9. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

That's not bad at all. I assume Apple will put USB C ports in the 2016 rMBPs, which probably be worth waiting for because it'll be nice future proofing...I mainly just want to see if they release space gray MBPs to be honest :p

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

USB-C isn't future proofing anything. USB-A will continue to be the dominant form factor for all peripherals but tablets and phones. Only advantage of USB-C is the power delivery, and unless you intend to you use laptop as a battery for your phones (your battery can't even deliver power that fast, so I'm being facetious here), then what does USB-C gain you?

USB 3.0/3.1 over USB-A is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your symptoms are similar to those of a dying hard drive. I'd make sure to keep a backup handy.

12. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

This. Even 2010 Macbooks can handle daily usage like a champ. If you really want to sink minimal money into the machine, a nice, new HDD could fix your problem and help with your battery life.

13. ben123456 macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation. I could use a laptop, but I currently have an iPad and probably could wait if the next version is going to be so much better.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your computing needs are being satisfied by an iPad, any Mac you buy, current or next gen, is already utter overkill for you. I wouldn't bother waiting.

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I love seeing people set themselves up for disappointment. Apple is probably just going to toss in Skylake and call it a day.

16. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Almost as a rule, the next generation is rarely that much better.

17. BallparkDreamer thread starter macrumors regular

Just spent the last 15 minutes with the beachball after my laptop froze, then I closed it and it didn't wake up from sleep, and then it took another handful of minutes to boot up and load my previous pages...don't think this is worth the 4 month wait :eek:

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Just get the SSD ... I mean, if you're serious about wanting these problems alleviated, that's the answer. Or if you have a spare $1,500 lying around. I suppose go out and bu yourself a Macbook Pro that comes with an SSD.

19. krishmk macrumors regular

I have been using SSD since the day they came out and knowing how fast they are, I would never use a spinning hard drive ever. Even my Synology NAS drive has SSD in it.

Get an SSD and you will feel like you got a new mac.