2012 Mac MIni Computer Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Designed4Mac, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Designed4Mac macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Hi all.

Will it do any damage to my MM if i set computer sleep to 'Never'?

Display is set to sleep after 15 mins but as i often stream movies and such around the house and screen share while on the move i have the computer sleep set to never.

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It will certainly shorten the life span of your MM if you leave it idle for long periods of time. Power is also wasted.

If feasible, it is aways a good idea for your MM to sleep automatically.

I put my Macs into the sleeping mode whenever I do not need them to run in cases that I do not want to power them off.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Waste of power yes. The rest hardly true!

Minis are used all over the world in server centres run at 100% for years.

Op I wouldn't worry about your mini being on 24/7 my original mini which is a good 5 years old is still going strong with a 24/7 up time. My 2011 mini exactly the same.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Mine is set to never sleep, runs 24x7. Did the same with my old 2006 Mini that's still going strong at a friend's house now. At my electricity rates, I figure the Mini costs a little over $30/year to run.

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Mine runs as a nerve centre for all my devices and streaming needs. I have it sleep from late evening through to the early hours, but otherwise on all day every day.

When I shift back to my home country I'll also be adding surveillance to its list of duties, at which point it'll be getting zero rest. I'm not anticipating problems.