2012 Mac Mini Fan Running with Safari

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by qtrim, Oct 9, 2017.

1. qtrim macrumors 6502

qtrim

Hello,

I have a 2012 Mac Mini, i7, 16gb ram running Sierra 10.12.6. Any time Safari is open on any page, even minimized, my fan runs. If I close Safari, the fan stops. I have Safari 11 installed, but it was doing it on 10 as well. With just this page open, activity monitor shows 9.5% CPU and 15 threads. Plugins running are LastPass and Adguard.

Question: Is this normal for the fan to need to cool the Mac Mini with just Safari open?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Try running withOUT the plugins you mentioned.
    Any changes?

3. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

I have the same mini running Sierra and don't ever recall seeing this. My fans only run loud when I work on a complex project in Final Cut Pro or render video. I don't use any Safari plug-ins. Generally I can work in Fincal Cut Pro and have Safari open at the same time with no noticeable fan activity.

What is the temperature of the room you're in? Fans will kick in sooner in a warm room.

4. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

It won't stop the fans, but one thing you can do is run something like Macs Fan Control to set a "fan curve" to be a little more aggressive at turning up the fans a little bit when the CPU isn't as hot. I find that tends to reduce the spikes in CPU diode temperature -- I used to see a lot of spikes to 75ºC and higher, and the fans would max out for a while. Now I rarely get over 65º with the fans at a relatively medium speed (and it's only when it gets really high, over about 4500 RPM, when the noise really kicks in).