Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapa69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2022
Hy to all mackans here today I hope you are well !

Now I have bought my first Mac a mini from 21012 with Catalina, all runs fine and fast.
Now I be little bit afraid when Apple will stop support on this mac this year that my mac will not work anymore or boot.

So I think about to install ubuntu but how I be not a tech nerd and installing this Monterey patch ist technical too complicated for me (sorry for that) or ist there a much easier solution to install Monterey for a noob like me?

How I should install ubuntu? First on an external usb stick? What is best to format the usb stick in disk utility in MS-Dos or extended journal to make it work?

I have tried it to create the boot stick on my other computer a win10 pc with etcher but it failed the mac not boots up the usb stick, so I think this method only will work on a Mac,r are the

Or ist here a better Bistro more fast and slim than ubuntu who works fine on Mac and recognize all hardware include my mobile hotspot plan (I only work with LTE connection)

Thanks in advance guys and have a nice day!

mapa69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2022
Now I have tried it download ubuntu, then formatting it in Disk Utility to MS-DOS GUID, then use Etcher to copy it to my external usb stick, the whole process is finished without any errors.

Then boot my Mac with option, but it only shows up my internal drive see my screenshot here.
Method not works my boot stick not shows up I do not know why it is a Toshiba 16 GB.

Attachments

• screen-boot.jpg
    screen-boot.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.