2012 Mac mini may be gone forever from Apple Refurb Store

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MisterAndrew, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MisterAndrew, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

Apple has taken down the product pages for all models of the 2012 Mac mini from the Refurb Store.

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

What were the links to these. I did not realise the refurb shop had links to products, I thought it linked to the main site , and the 2012 was gone for a while

3. MisterAndrew, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

All the refurb products have their own page. The 2012s popped up every now and then, but they probably won't anymore since the pages are gone now. You can find a link to all of them using a site like Refurb Tracker. Here's the refurb i7 base. Here's the Google cache from 2 days ago when it was still up.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I waited for one to show up for a while before I bought from eBay. Guess it's a good thing I didn't wait any longer.

6. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

A new Mac Mini model with quad core i7, dedicated GPU, and four RAM slots!

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

8. MisterAndrew thread starter macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

That would be rad. I don't think 4 RAM slots would fit in it though and a dedicated GPU isn't needed since Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs are coming out.

9. robertojorge macrumors regular

robertojorge

That would be indeed awesome!!! :)
    I had a Mac Mini Late 2012 I7 2.3Ghz from Early 2013 up to 2014 and sold it before Apple released the 2014 model, i was expecting a Quad Core release back then :) how fool of me hehe!!

About 3 weeks ago i bought once again guess what?? :) A Late 2012 I7 2.3Ghz, i was lucky to find one locally in brand new condition and still under warranty, guess that was sold as old stock under a promotional campaign and i bouth it for 500€ which was a great deal. (The person that bought it did not like the OSX / Mac )

On Ebay there are still a few machines around but a bit more expensive than what i have paid for. Non the less if i had no choice i would prefer to spend 1000€ on a late 2012 Quad Core than on a 2014.

And as @ActionableMango mentioned would be great to have a 2016 model with quad core, i have given up on dGPU from Apple (Althought would be great) but with a Quad Core and the ability to run external GPU on thunderbolt 3 that would be something :)

10. SpacemanSpiffed, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

SpacemanSpiffed macrumors member

SpacemanSpiffed

Given that I have AppleCare on a 2012 QuadCore into 2018 (Jake, my refurb from last year that I posted about upgrading), I'd say that's a pretty good run of supporting a model, given that Intel has been on their Tick-Tock pace of pushing out new chips every year / as fast as they can.

If we get a Skylake Mac Mini, It'll be using DDR4 - SO-DIMMs hopefully. In that case there's a doubling of density supported, so 2 SO-DIMM slots plus the Intel Chipsets = 32GB RAM support - and *possibly* 64GB support on 2 DIMMs

Dreaming is good. What we need is someone in product planning at Apple to realize they can put some excitement back into the Mac Mini range with a top-end CPU offering.

The Unibody Mac Minis have historically topped out at supporting about 45 watts TDB of power dissipation. Intel now has Quad Core chips with extra GPU slices and EDRAM in that power envelope up to the 3.0 Ghz range. And they have announced their own "Skull Canyon" NUC, with a Quad Core + 580 Graphics & 128MB EDRAM using the Xeon E3-1575m v5 chip or a lower binned variant of that. The existence of the Skull Canyon NUC will probably do more to make Apple consider such a quad-core product than all of our online posting combined.

I guess we can dream. A Mac Mini with 45w Quad Core + Iris Pro 580 CPU, 2 SO-DIMMs sockets, and leaving the connectors for 2x 2.5" drives along with a M.2 slot would absolutely be a 'Halo Model' garnering a lot of attention and making it the power system to beat in the NUC / tiny PC space.

As Aerosmith said.... Dream On.. Dream On..

11. voyager03 macrumors member

I think it is possible I bought the last 2012 from the UK referb store on 30th November last year. Not seen any 2012 listed since (I get emails from referbtracker) and mine was a i7 2.6, 1Tb drive and said 4Gb memory but came with 8Gb. Cost me a lot less than they seem to be selling for on ebay too. :)