2012 Mac mini Migration ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by twinsity, Feb 12, 2016.

1. twinsity macrumors member

2012 Mac mini dual hard drives I have a 256ssd and 1 tB hhd . When I try to move files from old Mac to Mac mini in migration host it tries to send files to 256ssd no options to switch where I want them to go? How do I get past this ?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

By "migration host" do you mean the application named "Migration Assistant"?

On the Mini, which drive is the boot drive?
    I'm assuming the SSD, is this correct?

Although you can select different source drives (the drive you're trying to migrate from), I believe that the Migration Assistant app assumes that you want to migrate all your data to the boot drive.

I'm not sure if there's any way to change this within the app.

If you have some data that you want to migrate to the HDD, I'm going to -guess- that you'll have to do that "manually" (via the finder).
    This isn't hard to do, just keep some notes as you go along so you don't miss anything or make "double copies".

Aside:
    You -DO- want your apps and home folder on the SSD.

However, if you have LARGE libraries of music, pictures, or movies, you may want to manually locate those folder/files on the HDD...

3. twinsity thread starter macrumors member

Yea I'm a rookie I guess 1st I have to figure out how to use my SSd as start up and App and store most other files and on my other internal drive lol .. Geez