2012 Mac Mini Slow

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Bushmuncher, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Bushmuncher macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Long time lurker who just recently purchased a Mac Mini (base i5)

Though I'm finding the performance of the mac to be extremely slow in certain circumstances, especially when opening up applications.

I also own a 2009 Macbook pro (Core2duo 2.53, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD) and in certain situations fin it to be over twice as fast when opening applications.

Any reason why this would be? I thought coming from a core 2 duo to an i5 would triple performance, though i find myself experiencing the complete opposite.

Any answers would be appreciated

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The performance when just opening an application has LITTLE to do with processor speed and almost everything to do with drive speed. I upgraded mine to SSD and 8 GB of RAM shortly after getting it and I saw marked improvement in application launch times.

3. Bushmuncher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i though this too. But then i realised that my macbook pro also has pretty much the same 5400rpm 500GB hard drive

4. Agrajagg42 macrumors newbie

my mac mini was crazy slow, if you got it w only 4gb of RAM, that is insufficient by far (the OS uses 3.5GB); I replaced my 2x2gb DIMMS with 2x8GB DIMMS and saw a huge performance boost... now if only i can figure out why i'm only seeing 5Gbit download speeds when every other PC in my house is seeing 20+, that would be nice....

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Get an SSD, and put it into an external enclosure (or USB3/SATA dock) that supports UASP.

Make that your "external booter".

You will notice an astounding speed difference!

6. Negritude macrumors 6502

You definitely need at least 8GB of RAM, and the 5400rpm drives in the Minis are usually poor performers for some reason, especially if you have a lot of programs and files. A 7200rpm, Fusion, or SSD drive will improve things greatly. Even a Seagate hybrid drive would help. I'm never going back to 5400rpm by itself.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Get an SSD. Easily the best decision i've made with regards to computers. I have an Evo 120GB SSD + the 4GB of stock RAM and there is a very, very noticeable difference in speed...you won't regret it.

8. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I did this with my 2012 17 Mini: 16GB RAM, drive-doubler kit+ 2 Angelbird 512GB SSD's. Runs Pro Tools 11, Logic X, Waves, VSL, CS6, LR6, and FCPX like a charm. I liked the SSD so much, I bought one of those little G-Drive Thunderbolt single drives, ripped it open and jammed-in another SSD. Bam! Thunderbolt SSD. Good luck! It's worth it. Use the right tools and check iFixIt. -OS 10.10.5.