Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I've not used it in over a couple of years but recently when I tried inserting a card in, it was unresponsive. I tried using a little dust blower, the kinds you use on a camera lense but there wasn't any change. Any ideas how I might go about troubleshooting it?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I've not used it in over a couple of years but recently when I tried inserting a card in, it was unresponsive. I tried using a little dust blower, the kinds you use on a camera lense but there wasn't any change. Any ideas how I might go about troubleshooting it?
The 2012 Mac mini has a SDXC card slot. Most of the newer SD cards are SDHC. My 2011 MBP with a SDXC card slot could not read my new 32 Gb SDHC card. I had to get an external USB Card reader that could read the SDHC card as well as the older formats.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
This will sound silly. But it works every time when I gently push the card in and just stop when I feel it reach the end of the slot. Otherwise, it would intermittently fail to recognize the card.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
This will sound silly. But it works every time when I gently push the card in and just stop when I feel it reach the end of the slot. Otherwise, it would intermittently fail to recognize the card.
What format SD, SDXC, or SDHC?

Last edited:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
The 2012 Mac mini has a SDXC card slot. Most of the newer SD cards are SDHC. My 2011 MBP with a SDXC card slot could not read my new 32 Gb SDHC card. I had to get an external USB Card reader that could read the SDHC card as well as the older formats.

My 2012 mini reads any card, SDHC or otherwise.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
My 2012 mini reads any card, SDHC or otherwise.
That sounds good. Myself, and some other posters, have had problems with the built in card reader. My card reader would work fine for the standard speed/lower capacity SD cards, but it would not read faster/higher capacity SD cards. It sounds like it has been touchy for poster "for this" also. I had to get an external USB card reader for the faster/higher capacity SD cards.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.