2012 mac mini's SD card reader not working

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iamsen47, Aug 24, 2015.

1. iamsen47 macrumors regular

I've not used it in over a couple of years but recently when I tried inserting a card in, it was unresponsive. I tried using a little dust blower, the kinds you use on a camera lense but there wasn't any change. Any ideas how I might go about troubleshooting it?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The 2012 Mac mini has a SDXC card slot. Most of the newer SD cards are SDHC. My 2011 MBP with a SDXC card slot could not read my new 32 Gb SDHC card. I had to get an external USB Card reader that could read the SDHC card as well as the older formats.

3. for this macrumors regular

This will sound silly. But it works every time when I gently push the card in and just stop when I feel it reach the end of the slot. Otherwise, it would intermittently fail to recognize the card.

4. CoastalOR, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

What format SD, SDXC, or SDHC?

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

My 2012 mini reads any card, SDHC or otherwise.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

That sounds good. Myself, and some other posters, have had problems with the built in card reader. My card reader would work fine for the standard speed/lower capacity SD cards, but it would not read faster/higher capacity SD cards. It sounds like it has been touchy for poster "for this" also. I had to get an external USB card reader for the faster/higher capacity SD cards.