2012 Mac Pro vs 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Matt Waters, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Matt Waters macrumors newbie

I've been contemplating ditching my old Mac Pro and getting a 3.2 27inch iMac. Problem is I'm really worried about non user upgradable (or more importantly) parts.

The spec I'm looking at comes to around £2100.

I've now noticed that I can get a twelve 2.4 core Mac Pro for about £2500. I know it's now about two years out of date but the geek bench score is still way higher than the highest spec iMac and ill be able to upgrade and replace to my hearts content without worrying that apple will rip me off when the hard drive goes wrong.

Has anyone else thought about this.

Also conscious that there is a potential Mac Pro update around the corner but I've given up holding my breath on that.

Thanks

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Seems like you have answered your own question. I would get the Pro.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If....

you need upgrading/tinkering, that is a no brainer: Mac Pro. Need modern/new hardware: iMac

You do well not holding your breath in the rumored "Mac Pro 2013" (or whatever it can be called if ever see the light). And about Geekbench scores, exists considerable discussion about the meaning of them. Also, a decission can boils down to the software you use: Multicore optimized screams for the more cores affordable, hence a Mac Pro

:):apple:

4. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Matt Waters. it may depend on the type of work you do on the Mac. If your work is not cpu intensive heavy and you don't need the expandability, the iMac may suffice. Though the Mac Pro 12 core would be nice too for expandability. We don't know how the new 2013 Mac Pro will fare and when it will be released and if you need the Mac now it's fine to buy now.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If the iMac can do the job for up to a year you could get it and then upgrade to the Mc Pro when it gets updated, selling your iMac. A one year old iMac should hold its value fairly well. That way you get the new Mac Pro instead of a 2 year old design.