2012 Macbook 13 in. Water Damaged. How Much Worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 525manuel, Dec 12, 2015.

1. 525manuel macrumors newbie

525manuel

Need some help Apple community!! Trying to figure out if I should put a price on or how much I should sell my MacBook Pro for. Wife spilt water on it. Battery symbol has an X. I let it dry for 4 days. IT STILL TURNS ON WITH THE POWER ADAPTER and works fine. Took it to a certified Apple repair store after the new battery I bought for it didnt help. They say it could at least use a logic board which is about $700 with labor. (Screw that) They don't even offer military discount :[ I'm thinking to buy a refurbished one from them and sell my own on Ebay. Would it be worth more than water damaged Macbooks that dont turn on at all? Thanks for any help.

Mid 2012 Macbook Pro - Non Retina

El Captain 10.11.1

No external damage

2. 525manuel thread starter macrumors newbie

525manuel

Crap I forgot lol. 13 inch sorry

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In these cases it is worth what somebody will pay for it someone may want it for spares but corrosion on a logic board is not going to encourage anyone to spend much.

4. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Apple has an out of warranty repair option.... I think it's $299. That will cover the entire repair cost. I had a logic board and other stuff done on a macbook pro last year. You should look into that

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

This is an interesting comment, which I didn't know.
    Is there an Apple public-facing article which explains how the out of warranty repair pricing works? For how many years out of warranty is this valid, and would you happen to know if this is valid internationally?

6. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

7. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Apples repair costs for a liquid damaged 13" are $755 + tax in the USA. $1240 for a 15"

8. LaraStone macrumors newbie

LaraStone

The replacement cost is the cost of a NEW Macbook Pro. Whatever that is in your part of the world.

9. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Shouldn't that be "The replacement cost from Apple is the cost of a NEW Macbook Pro. Whatever that is in your part of the world."
    The replacement cost of the motherboard from 3rd party sources (which a great many folks would consider) would be variable - say approx $400 + labour charge. I don't think many people would leave their Macbook with Apple for repair following their repair charge estimation.
    I agree that if repair from Apple is approx $1300 with tax, (similar to replacement cost) then it's definitely not worth considering.