2012 Macbook air 13inch Clicking noise??! (video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ketchup4life06, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I have searched pretty much everywhere, but have not seen anyone with the exact problem as I am having. Well, I don't really know if some would consider it a "problem" as the machine works perfectly fine. So when I lift the computer from anywhere on the bottom right, after clicking the trackpad, there is a secondary clicking noise. I don't know if that makes any sense...so I made a video. It is pretty apparent and pretty much every time I go to close the laptop it makes the noise. Initially I thought it may have been the hinge, but now I think it may be a loose trackpad? Anyways here is the video....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-Y46DqBMM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply ggj. Just another question, reading the second link you provided; it says that SMS is available in the MacBook air but then notes that ssds do not have this feature. Does the MacBook air have this feautre do to the Intel processor ? Thanks in advance!

3. asting macrumors 6502

I just noticed this on mine not 5 minutes ago, so it's safe to say they have it i think.

4. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Dude, the video is private....nice!

5. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

Woops, changed that, should be public now!

6. isrefel macrumors member

I also have a 2012 13"...do not have this issue here.

In addition, I'm not sure MBAs with SSDs utilize the sudden motion sensor, considering there are no moving parts in an ssd, there really isn't any point.

EDIT: Just checked using 'sudo pmset -g' in terminal, and I can confirm that if there is an SMS, it isn't being used. However the value doesn't even show up in the returned list, which makes me believe that my hypothesis was correct.

7. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

Well, after searching a bunch on Google I have found a few forums relating to the same type of problem but in the unibody Macbook Pro's with ssds. They believe it is a design flaw of the mounting brackets on the underside near the trackpad that are loose. I will still end up going to the genius bar to see if they can check it out and if is normal or not...I'll post again when that is done!
    thank for the replies!

8. takezo808 macrumors member

Mac book Air has no moving parts it uses flash memory. It could be a fan. fans on macs are usualy very quiet and you normally don't notice them. Hoever if you close the mac lid, it could put the mac into a sleep or sleep-like mode where the fan stops wich if it stops instantaniously a clicking sound could be created.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're absolutely right. I missed that it's an MBA and not an MBP. The only thing that should make noise on the Air is the fan, as it's the only moving part.

10. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

So, I took it to a local Apple store. The genius was just as confused as I was and took it apart and removed and reset the battery and replaced the back casing. The sound seems to have disappeared and I have not been able to replicate it since I came back. Maybe the backing was loose? Anyways glad it's gone and if it comes back in the next week, I will probably try and return it as I am still within my 14 days! Thanks for all the replies everyone.

11. Izick macrumors newbie

Any follow up on this? I noticed mine could do that, but I'm trying to see if I can do it again and I can't replicate it. Is it a cause for concern?

12. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

I do not think it is a cause for concern if you can't replicate it anymore. I ended up replacing mine since it came back and it was ridiculously noticeable. Honestly if you are in the 14 day window and it still bothering you, just get it replaced. If not, then it persists just keep bring it back to the genius bar until they can fix/replace it themselves.

13. Izick macrumors newbie

I can still hear it and it's pretty annoying. Thing is that I bought it at a Best Buy, not an Apple store, so I'm not sure what they'll do.

14. ketchup4life06 thread starter macrumors member

If you are still within the return window of Best Buy; then they should return/replace it! Good Luck!

15. kaielement macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter where you bought it. If you are with in your apple one year warranty have the apple store take a look at it if they can't fix it in most cases they give you a replacement.

16. s2dio macrumors regular

s2dio

can't say this issue is normal, but it's pretty widespread. Haven't seen a post on this for some time now (~6 months), but there used to be tons of "my MBA has creaking/cracking noise when I lift it up/close the lid etc". My 2010 MBA has it too. The solution is to reseat the bottom plate. You'll need a 5point pentalobe screwdriver (can get it from ifixit.com), but if you're currently under warranty and have an apple store nearby, go out there and ask for assistance.

17. Izick macrumors newbie

Hm, thanks for the advice so far. I guess I'll call BB then try to return it today or tomorrow (I got it on the 28th I think so I still should be good) for a new one I guess. I would go to an Apple store, but I've never been to the closest one by me, which in actuality is like about an hour away or so, maybe a bit less.

So do you all say just take it back to BB?

18. asting macrumors 6502

My laptop has been apart twice and it still intermittently clicks. I doubt reseating the bottom is an exhaustive solution and perhaps there are different causes.

19. Izick macrumors newbie

I don't know, I'll call Best Buy and see. My only worry is that I'll get a MBA that is faulty in another way, like dead pixels or a screwed up trackpad, and possibly have a creak as well.

20. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

Hi, i bought my 2013 MBA with the same creaking/clicking noise when i pick it up. i am still in the 15 day return period, if i bring it to apple will they replace it with a new one?

just going by your post, wondering if you went back to best buy. thanks