2012 Macbook Air-Airport Express Replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeffreyfranz, May 17, 2015.

1. jeffreyfranz macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Perhaps folks can help me. I searched a couple different ways but did not find my info. My Airport Express just died, and I need a new router. I bought my 13" Macbook Air in April 2013, but I think I jumped the gun and missed the refresh, so it may be a 2012 model. I am using OS 10.9.5.

My Question: How high-end a router can I benefit from? Can I utilize 802.11ac, or is my laptop not up to that. In my System info it shows: Airport Extreme, Broadcom BCM 43XX 1.0 and supports 802.11 a/b/g/n. Am I out of luck on ac? Should I just buy a bargain router? Thanks all, Jeffrey

2. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Bumpity Bump bump

Come on, folks. I realize mine is hardly a power user question and not sexy, but it should be easy to answer. Anyone, anyone?:apple:

3. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

The 2013 MacBook Airs were released in June of that year. You have a 2012 model which does not support 802.11ac.

5. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Thanks to both posters. That was the info I didn't want to get but needed to confirm. Is there a big difference in real world performance between the two standards?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In general web browsing you will not see much of a difference unless you are on an extremely fast connection and downloading large files. Your 2012 MBA can do 450 Mbps maximum wirelessly which is plenty for most usage. The 2013 Extreme does a bit better with wireless N clients than the 5th generation and future proofs you for future AC compatible purchases.

Do you have AppleCare on your MacBook Air?

7. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Yes, I do. Why?

8. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

smallnetbuilder

Followed a link from another thread here and visited the site shown above for the first time. A TON of info. This has been very helpful, though it feels like the more I learn, the farther away I get from choosing a router!:confused:

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

AppleCare on a Mac covers the AirPort purchased up to two years before the computer. Your Express is eligible for a free repair under the MacBook's AppleCare agreement!

That being said, in regards to your original question, your MacBook will not achieve wireless AC speeds with the internal wireless card.

10. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

Thank you & Result Posted

As a way of thanking all who helped, here is my result. After pouring over a # of websites and reading more than I ever wanted to know about routers, I took a suggestion from a poster here, went to the Apple Refurbished store and got a current generation (I think--June 2014) Airport Extreme for $129. I decided against higher-end routers until such time as I buy a newer Macbook Air or Pro. My Air only has a card that handles 802.11n, so costly ac routers were not going to do me much good presently. My dream "last computer" (I'm getting old) is one of the new 15" Macbook Pros. Then, maybe, I'll get a Star Wars router. Thanks again. - Jeffrey;)

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The current generation Extreme supports wireless AC.

12. jeffreyfranz thread starter macrumors newbie

jeffreyfranz

One-day delivery; Results

I ordered my refurbished Extreme yesterday (see post, above), and it arrived today before noon. Set-up was a breeze, as many of you said it would be, and these were my results on first WiFi Speed Test:

Download: 31.41 Mbps
    Upload: 4.46 Mbps

These are the same or similar best #s as I have ever got on my 30-Meg hi-speed internet connection using hardwired Ethernet mode. Yes, I am pleased. This test was done sitting next to the Extreme at the desk in my office. Upstairs bedroom, perhaps 20-25 feet away:

Download: 31.38 Mbps
    Upload: 4.44 Mbps

This is plenty good performance for me, at least until the new Macbook Pros come out later this year, or maybe I choose to buy a refurbished current generation, either of these being ac capable, as my Air is not. All in all, I am pleased with the advice I got and with my choice.