2012 MacBook Air fan grinding

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dessureault, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Dessureault macrumors member

hey guys, sorry for my poor english, I'm a french speaker ahah. I just bought the new mid 2012 Macbook Air 3 days ago and today when I moved the computer it did that crazy weird grinding noise coming from the fan almost like when you move a laptop while there is a CD in it. it can be easily reproduced by leaning the computer on the side or moving it fast (although not every time).

I was wondering if I was alone with that problem. I'll call apple tomorrow morning to know what can be done.

2. carlos00 macrumors newbie

Is it happening when on a flat surface? If it is happening all the time then would think something wrong inside. As its new then I would personally take it back for a replacement

3. Dessureault thread starter macrumors member

it doesn't make a single sound when sitting flat, only when i'm moving it, like if the fan was loose in it's case.
    closest apple store is 3 hours away from me though! which sucks.. ahahah

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It definitely sounds like an issue. Rather than drive all the way to Montreal, my suggestion is that you call Apple phone support and see if they will send you a new Mac and a box to return your old one when the new one arrives.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine definitely does not do that. Something is wrong.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Any authorized repair facilities closer to you? This is not necessarily a same day type of repair.

7. Dessureault, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Dessureault thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I'm impressed that you figured out it was Montreal! ahaha but yeah I called them and they told me I needed to go in store for a repair

----------

Yes there's one but they are horrible! they stripped two screws on the cover of my MacBook Pro and one other screw on the superdrive while replacing it last year! :mad:

----------

I took a can of compressed air used to clean computers and I blew air through the hinge of the macbook where the fan is. the problem stopped! which is weird cause the computer is brand new and the fan was definitely not dirty :confused: ! anyways, if it starts doing it again i'll take it in! :)

8. manunited macrumors member

Even if it seems like your laptop is fine now, you might want to send it in for repairs, because you may have a faulty fan. You don't want to get stuck with it and get charged ridiculous amounts later when Apple are not willing to cover you.

9. Dessureault thread starter macrumors member

that's true!