2012 Macbook Air screen coating peeling

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by prizm, Sep 21, 2017.

1. prizm macrumors member

This bums me out to no end. I put a larger SSD in about a year ago. This computer is still a beast, problem is my screen coating is starting to "peel" or scratch for lack of a better word. The area where the keys touch the screen when closed is most prominent. But as of today there's a huge circular section that's starting to peel away. I've really babied this thing, so I find it annoying that this is happening.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Is my only recourse to replace the screen for several hundred dollars?

Thanks for your help!

2. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

3. prizm thread starter macrumors member

I use just a computer cloth. Wipe it down dry.

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Weird because I've never seen this on any of my Macbooks. Any pictures?

5. icymountain macrumors 6502

I have noticed the same things on two of my Apple laptops.
    My 11" MBA has it, but it is progressing slowly and is not too visible. This is mostly at the key corners, and also the line at the top of the palm rest area, just under the keyboard.
    My 13" MBPr has it too, to a much greater extent, and at the same locations. The phenomenon is making the use of the lapto less comfortable. It is quite a bit newer, and is going to be sent in for screen replacement. This issue is quite well documented on MBP retina laptops...
    Sorry, I do not have time to post pictures now.

6. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

The keys wearing the screen coating down is from pressure on the lid from storing the laptop in a bag with other items or stacking items on top of the laptop.

7. prizm thread starter macrumors member

So what are my options? Will apple (silly question, I know) charge me an arm and a leg?

8. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

book appointment to Apple Store and they will tell you how much is for screen replacement if you are from US you can sent MacBook to depot for repair, this option can be cheaper

9. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

Screen replacement? lmao. The laptop is 5 years old, of course it will have some wear. The exact same thing happened to my 2011 13" Air but it's such a non issue that I wouldn't even consider spending 10$ to fix it, it's only visible when the screen is off and it's just simply not an issue...

10. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Get a used screen and replace it. It will cost you quite a bit though. Live with it. Put a screen protector on it to stop further damage.