2012 Macbook Air software questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VinnyV, Jun 19, 2012.

1. VinnyV macrumors member

I am currently very interested in getting one probably next month for uni. I will be an engineering student so im worried the air cant handle modeling programs and such.
    So my question is, can the i5 4gb intel HD4000 handle 3d CAD softwares?(eg max,maya,solidworks) can any1 tell me your experiences with them? I wouldnt mind upping it to 8 gb ram but if there is no need to i rather spend that 100 on accesories and stuff :D
    Any input will be greatly appreciated!

2. jgc macrumors regular

I've run SolidEdge, AutoCAD, and Aspen HYSYS on worse machines with good enough results. That being said I prefer to do my modelling in computer labs at school since the machines are much more powerful and built for that sort of thing.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since you can't upgrade the RAM later, if you plan to run resource-intensive apps like those, I'd recommend 8GB.

4. tey112 macrumors member

I can't speak for the other programs, but Solidworks is single-threaded and heavily dependent on that. I will suggest the following depending on what you find important.

-Mac, Solidworks, Fast, and least hassle, get a 15" Pro.
    -Some hassle, not as fast, get the 13" pro - try to get the 2.9 (single threaded app). You will have to modify the windows registry to take full advantage. pm me if you want more info.
    -My suggestion: Use the school lab computers for SW and get yourself an air.

Source: I used both a 2010 and 2011 13" MBP for my job (Solidworks design). I picked up a Sony Vaio S 15" fully spec'd out to run SW a couple months ago. Best decision ever.

Edit: But to answer your question. Get the 8GB. If you are considering running Parallels/Win7 + SW, you will be thankful you spend that $90 (education discount :) ).

5. VinnyV thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! really helped, i guess ill shoot for the 8gb :D