2012 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KPOM, Jun 13, 2012.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

A word to the wise: Boot Camp drivers for the 2012 MacBook Air do not appear to be available yet through the Boot Camp Assistant.

I cloned my Boot Camp partition from my 2011 and restored it to my 2012 using Winclone. While I can access it in Parallels, when I boot into Boot Camp itself, I can't get past the login screen since the keyboard doesn't register. I haven't tried doing a "clean" install of Windows 7 yet, but I suspect it won't work right, either, because the drivers will be lacking. IOW I may be able to get into Windows, but not with the updated drivers.

For me, I'll just use Parallels until the drivers come out, but if you need Boot Camp, you may want to hold off until the drivers are available.

2. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Thanks for the heads up I was planning on guiding a friend through a win 7 install on his new air 2012.

3. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

That's an odd omission. Thanks for the heads up.

4. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

It appears to be up now. I'm downloading as we speak, but it is pretty slow at the moment.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

That's great news. Can't wait for my Air!

6. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

I also noticed that the new Boot Camp drivers activate AHCI for the SSD. The 2011 drivers did not. That means, among other things, that TRIM should work in Windows 7, and disk access is even faster. I noticed it because the Windows Experience Index registers 7.9 for disk access, which is the highest score. In the 2011s, it registers 6.9.