2012 Macbook keeps crashing/hanging up...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingc0bra, Aug 14, 2015.

1. kingc0bra macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Whats the best way to backup my iPhoto and/or everything on my hard drive so I can format and start from scratch?

Also, whats the easiest way to format and reinstall the OSX? (never done it on a MAC, however done it on a PC)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just get an external USB drive and use it to make a Time Machine backup of the entire drive.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14243

You can follow the steps at this link to erase the drive and reinstall the OS. Be warned this will erase all your data.

What are you wanting to reinstall the OS? Can you explain exactly what is going wrong?

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you execute the console app in Applications/Utilities, and look for entries with ".crash" on them around the date/time that the crash happened and post (using the QUOTE tag) someone could look at the log and maybe able to see what might be causing the crashes you are having. I would suggest doing this first before you do a clean install. The crash might be caused by something installed that you could reinstall after a clean install. See where I am going.