2012 Macbook Pro 15 vs 2012 Retina Macbook Pro 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingmars, Apr 11, 2014.

1. kingmars macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A

Wondering which one to get. Im leaning towards the Regular Mac because of its upgradability, and the Retina only has 256 GB!!! shameful. Worried about the Retina's SOLDERED 8gb of ram running out for me.

I will be using the computer for music production so i will upgrade the ram of the regular if i get it. I use Ableton Live 9.

Which one would be better?

P.S. almost forgot about ETHERNET!!

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

For your needs, I think that you should stick to the cMBP. The deciding factor should be the memory. If you feel that you're ever going to require more than 8GB of memory, the cMBP is the way to go.

Best of luck
    Raptor

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If you need upgradability, definitely stick with the classic. I personally like the retina better, but you'd have to shell out a lot more for the RAM and higher SSD.

4. 827538 macrumors 65816

Probably best going with the regular if you aren't able to get a higher spec rMBP. It's not really shameful, sure it's not cheap but if you want to sacrifice quality, aesthetics and functionality then there are always cheaper alternatives. 8GB is enough to get by for the next few years but if you planned on keeping it you would definitely want to get 16GB.

I'm glad mine doesn't have ethernet, I love the minimal but functional ports on the rMBP rather than a mass of barely used ugly legacy connectors. Plus if you really need ethernet there's always an adapter. But personally I even game on mine and have no problem with using the WiFi.

5. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

It is a really hard call as both are good machine. I have owned both but ultimately kept a 2012 classic for the following reasons:

It was cheaper allowing me to put in a crucial 960gb ssd. I will also add another in the DVD bay once I run low on space.

I got the hi-res antiglare which was important to me.

I love the battery indicator and infra red which has now been removed from the retina.

I did love the retina display but for my mobile uses I found the upgradability and anti glare outweighed the retina screen for me. The other thing I miss from the retina is the connectivity (HDMI and two thunderbolt ports for multi monitor). but I use an iMac at home anyway.