2012 MacBook Pro 15"

WolfMB2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
United States
I just purchased a MacBook Pro 15" 2012 MID model on amazon to upgrade from my white MacBook of 8-9 years...so can someone tell me if that model is good? its refurb. I do not mind refurb model, I ordered a crucial SSD as well to go along with it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Aye she's an old sturdy machine. I have one myself... as does my brother and a producer I know.

Just be wary they have dGPUs which historically have a higher failure rate than iGPUs. But speaking personally, all of ours have been fine; certainly better than the 2011s!

The CPU is still very capable, real slugger with plenty of horsepower, and with an SSD/16GB RAM she'll run LPX and FCPX to a more than usable standard.

WolfMB2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
United States
I dont do extreme work, just word, youtube, some photoshop (light), some editing of videos (not a producer type :p) just a beginner into this. My white MacBook is getting slower and slower, the SSD doesn't do much, thinking of putting the SSD I got and putting into the 15" will be more worth while..

I read that the 2011 GPU is bad so I looked into the 2012 models for a decent price. Can't afford apple's 2015 model, thats still crazy price. I ordered this one is coming tomorrow well today, its 800$ on amazon so..if anything it'll probably last me 4 years before I'll think of getting something else..

Can you tell me more about the GPU?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Can you tell me more about the GPU?
Umm, 512MB by default, NVIDIA 650M. Not exactly a ripper but certainly can run games of that time period to an acceptable standard. Supports Metal on macOS too so helps a little with the Pro apps.

Won't blow your socks off but definitely more capable than an iGPU.