2012 Macbook Pro + 2007 iPod

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maclovertoo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Maclovertoo macrumors newbie

I'd really like to sync my old iPod to the iTunes on my new MPB and then keep using the new iTunes account for new music purchases...to sync back on the old iPod.

Is there a way to do this?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Do you mean you have content on your iPod which you no longer have on your new MBP iTuns library?

3. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Just enable the "Disk Mode" feature of the iPod from within iTunes, which will allow you to mount the iPod as a hard drive. Then, you can browse the disk using the Mac's Finder.

Or you can do this in case you can't find it.

On a Mac, you'll need to enable hidden folders in the Finder.
    1. Launch the Terminal by going to Applications > Utilities and double-clicking on Terminal.app.
    2. Paste in these lines of code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUEkillall Finder
    3. If you ever want to make the hidden folders disappear again, just run the code again, but change TRUE to FALSE.
    Advanced
    Mac users with no fear of using the terminal can do this with a couple of UNIX shell commands:
    `mkdir ~/Desktop/frompod find /Volumes/<your ipod name>/iPod_Control/Music/ -name "." -exec cp {} ~/Desktop/frompod\;`
    You will need to change <your ipod name> to the name of your iPod, and you'll need to escape spaces with backslashes, i.e.: Joes\ iPod
    That find command will dump all the music from your iPod onto a folder called "frompod" on your desktop. You can also use different find command parameters, like date ranges, to extract only some stuff.

4. Maclovertoo thread starter macrumors newbie

The content has never been in the MBP library....it is on my old iMac. I want to get it on my MBP in the iTunes library.

BeeJee, I'll try that and let you know what happens. Thanks.

5. ZmyDust macrumors regular

ZmyDust

Not sure if this is a preferred method of others, but it works for me and as long as you have the storage space.

Just simply use home sharing if you still have the old machine an a wifi connection. You can transfer your entire library to the new MBP.

It may take a couple of hours for a large library, but only has to be done once. This way your library is always current on your new machine.